Existing Member?

Europe through the back roads A five week journey through thirteen European countries visiting must see sights and cities but also discovering some out of the way places off the main roads.

Bicycles are ubiquitous in Amsterdam

NETHERLANDS | Friday, 23 September 2011 | Views [178]

Amsterdam is a city full of bicycles and bicyclers. They are ubiquitous. It is said that Holland has 16.5 million people and 17 million bicycles. It is hard not to be completely taken by the hustle & bustles of the movement of people via these bi-peds. Amazingly, they all look the same (bicycles) but the pedallers are young & old, guys & gals, tall & short, wearing dresses & jeans, suits & shorts. It is common to see a baby and a toddler on a bicycle with a parent and they don't wear helments. The thing is, however, that if you don't pay attention you are liable to get run over by a determined pedaller. They are so intent on where they are going-seems like all business. If you are in the way you will hear a "ring-ring" and dive out of the way. I thought it would be neat to rent bikes and join the fun, but I figured that perhap it would be the same as owning a motorcycle and it wouldn't end well for me. All in all it seems that the Dutch are a very fit people. One can see why based on the effects of pure pedal power. I think that I may start riding-in the coutry where a slightly wrong turn won't put me into a canal.

About yobagman


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.