Existing Member?

Footloose and fancy free Starting the OE with a 4week Intrepid Journey through Thailand. Yay.

Chiang Mai and the Hill tribe trek

THAILAND | Sunday, 31 August 2008 | Views [650]

Well left off with Kanachanburi form there we had a short ride to the bus station to board a bus for Ayutthaya which is where we were due to catch the night train to Chiang Mai. The bus ride was very long and hot again with us only having open windows as air-con. Once we got to Ayutthaya we were dropped off at this hotel were we had rented rooms for the day but they had this pool which after the sticky ride was welcomed enthusiastically by all as was lunch that we had preorded in Kanchanaburi. For the afternoon we arranged a tour guide to show us round the city. Mr Puk turned up and he was a funny wee character he had this mole just to the side and below his mouth which had the only hair on his face which would have been 6 inches long at least. He showed us round the city and took us to all the temples, one of which had this huge reclining marble buddha and a temple surrounded by hundreds of buddha. He even took us to see the iconic buddha head in the tree, very cool. He also pulled out this little book which told us what day we were born on, what chinese year, colour and buddha each of us had. I was born on a Tuesday which makes my sacred colour Pink, I was born in the Chinese year of the Dog, and my Buddha is the recling buddha which means I aim for nervana. Ayutthaya is these most gorgeous city with lots of old ruins and temples. After we arrived back form the tour we proceeded to get ready for the night train to Chiang Mai which meant getting there 1/2hr early just incase the train was early. As apparently they never run to time.

Turned out the train being only 30mins late which according to our guide Mai is quite good cause it can be very late or not even turn up. While we were waiting we got some comic relief. This little dog was barking at something though we weren't sure at what. Next thing this pig on a leash appears the dog then licks the pigs side and we're all thinking he's gonna try and eat this pig which was only slighty bigger then itself. Next thing we know this dog has mounted the pig in the worst case of cross breeding I think I have ever seen I mean this was wrong. Plus we were all so stunned that nobody managed to get a camera out in time I mean this was classic Utube material. Well the owner is standing there laughing as well, when the dog decides it's had enough and wanders off, well the next thing the pig has mounted the owners leg and is humping away, sooo funny. So anyway we get on this train and our whole wagon is pretty much filled white tourists (2 intrepid tours mine included) so it was a pretty rowdy night. The next morning our train ended up an hour early so it must have motored through the night. We get out of the train and make our way to where the hotel vans are picking us up and they take us to the serenity hotel which is basic but has hot water which is great cos the last place only had cold water from a handheld nozzle.

Once we'd all settled in and had showers etc our guide Mai took us on this walking tour of Chiang Mai which was lovely we went into this old temple site which is huge with 4 golden buddha and 4 entrances each with huge stair cases gaurded by 2 dragon each. as we walked around we came to the back and there was 8 huge carved elephants half way up on one side where they hadn't been eroded by the weather originally they went the whole way round. They are making this big effort to repair the damage and restore it to its original glory. Then off we went to the museum which is amazing and full of the history of Chiang Mai. Both Chiang Mai and Ayutthaya have this amazing blend of thai and cambodian archecture which is stunning. Chinag Mai being where it is was fought over for years as it is an integral trading spot. Many of the people originating from Burma. The city even has its own unique language of Lanna. Anyway got side tracked, got some wicked photos at the museum including one of a buddha head in this beam of light. Well we discovered after having done it all day that girls must not step on the door frames in houses has the frames are like the penis of the house and by emmasculating it any girl who does this is doomed to remain single forever. I mean they could have told us this sooner. Also its fine for men to step on it, talk about sexist. Anyway carried on to get our hire gear for the 3 day trek and it turns out the guy who does it is a kiwi from Gisbourne, can't seem to get away from them, hehe. After hiring the gear we proceed to the night bazaar for food and shopping lots of fun, bought this gorgeous pink and yellow silk scarf, sooo cheap. Decided on an early night since we had an early start.

7am start on the friday to jump in these pimped out songtheaws they were great, but yet again we left late cos this couple can't turn up on time so we are constantly waiting for them, grr. We travelled for an hour to this roadside elephant camp where we got to ride the elephants for an hour so much fun. Kate and I were on this big elephant which turned out to be pregnant and went through 3 bags of bananas and when we ran out would walk to the nearest bamboo bush and dive in. There was also a baby elephant with the group which was neat, her name was Jenny and worked the system by going between our elephant and its mother to get bananas from us and Joe and Ali who were on its mother. At one point our elephant wrangler hopped off the back and was walking alongside so out elephant was free to go where it wanted and it did leading the baby and it's mother with it as the other elephants rider also decided to hope off. its definitley an experience riding a riderless elephant. Once that was finished we carried on to our drop off point for the trek to begin which started in some rice fields and then climbed. The first day was all uphill talk about hard work especially since we didn't get porters. Our first night was spent at shack with ants, lots and lots of ants. We bathed in the river this night under our sarongs which we had to wear for modesty. and when walking about we had to have our shoulders covered bearing in mind that this was only for the girls the guys could do what they wanted. Traditional thai food for dinner yum. That night I was woken by ants crawling over my head and biting me on the way, not cool. The next day was another early start though once again late due to the annoying couple, where we treked to a Karen hilltribe village. Eyeopening to see how they live in bamboo houses with leaf roofs. Got to really interact with the local. Last day today and we walked out to meet our ride which took us out to this river rafting venue where we river rafted on bamboo rafts, best time ever laughed the whole time as our raft guide took the trickiest path and set out to get us wet. Bearing in mind that none of us were wearing lifejackets and they took us down some rapids, and under logs and tipping it from side to side to dislodge us. didn't work though. Then Andrew decided he wanted to swap rafts and was jumping form raft to raft. absolutley wicked. Then we came back to the hotel. Must admit that the trek was one of the toughest things I have ever done but I made it and would definitly do it again if I ever get the chance. Well must be off have a meeting to attend.

About yesacewol

Taupo Bungy, Soo scary but lots of fun

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.