Existing Member?

IndonesianBackpakers

What it means to be Indonesian

INDONESIA | Monday, 29 August 2011 | Views [810]

    Born as a Chinese descent in Indonesia is have mixed means to me. Indonesia is a beautiful  country with many culture pluralism but because of this culture pluralism conflict also happen. Different culture means different point view and principle of life and that make's more hard to join people in same one point of view. I still remember the 1998 race riots in Jakarta, my family almost become the victim in the riot. But thanks Lord Jesus He take's care of us so we survive when that riot happens. On the other hand may uncle lose almost all his belongings but at least his family safe.

     After that 1998 culture riots everything get's more better especially since the Abdulrahman Wahid era. He is the first president that let us to celebrate new Chinese year more freely. The Chinese descent in Indonesia is also an Indonesian too so we have the right to have equal treatment. Well for today situations everything already change lot, we feel that we have a more equal treatment in economy, education and opportunity.

      Many Indonesian people that a Chinese descent contribute in bringing Indonesian name to be acknowledge in the world. Like prof. Yohanes Surya who educate Indonesian children to participate in Physics Olympic and won the gold medal. Every country have a bright and dark era of it's own. But no matter what Indonesia is big country with many talent's people and the place with many opportunity. I can say that i am proud to be Indonesian's 

Tags: #blogyourbackyard, indonesians

About worldjourney


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.