Existing Member?

ExploringDisruptively

Exploring Cairo on a Roller Coaster

EGYPT | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [220] | Scholarship Entry

Egypt can be categorized as a country suffering from multiple personalities. Its ancient beginnings attract the tourists but its colonial influences and the fact that it is a part of the African continent but heavily influenced by Middle Eastern traditions gives Egypt its charm.
Cairo is the gateway to Egypt. It’s a huge insult to the senses that slowly overcomes and calms the self. Stepping foot late at night in the city, straight out of the airport, you get into a taxi and prepare yourself for a roller coaster ride. I’d like to see the “Fast and Furious” film franchise set up shop in this city. The taxi whizzes by jaywalkers, dodges incoming cars and you’ve reached your destination in a few minutes. I’m serious.
The next morning, after soaking up the intense adrenaline filled atmosphere. The sun rising over the river Nile makes you realize the enigmatic appeal that attracted great minds to explore this city. Cairo isn’t only characterized by its rich historical landmarks but the people are what make Cairo beautiful. The Egyptians are gracious and welcoming. It’s been a few hours in the city and a quick nap but early in the morning I’m already making a deal with guy at the front of the hotel for a round trip around Cairo with his buddy who owns a taxi. Forget arranging a tour with a travel agent. Negotiate a price with a taxi driver and you’ll get a fresh perspective of the real Cairo.
The taxi driver takes me through the streets less traveled and we arrive at an apartment. A man steps out and gets his camels ready for the trek to the Pyramids. Once you get up on that camel you are instantly transported to how archaeologists felt when they embarked on their exploration of the Pyramids of Giza. From the Pyramids, it’s a quick ride around Cairo visiting the souks, modern malls and taking in the sights all while on an adrenaline filled taxi ride. Seriously, Egyptian taxi drivers give Formula One racers a run for their money. More than anything it is strongly encouraged to walk around Cairo across the bridges. If you’re living near the Nile, a short walk to the museum takes you on a trip to the countless souvenir shops before your one shot look at ancient Egypt. Once you’ve seen Cairo, you wonder how you got there and the numerous corners of the city waiting for you to explore. Cairo is your modern day jungle exploration of ancient civilization. Highly recommend it.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About worlddisruptor

The expression you should have with one bite!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.