Existing Member?

Workin the World The 4 month trip that lasted 5 years .. all the adventures from Workers final year o/s and the trip back to Oz.

Irish Eyes Are Smiling

IRELAND | Tuesday, 3 July 2007 | Views [1854]

Because Worker has left the country ...

For the final fling there was a heap planned, 6 mates making the trip from London, partying of rock and roll proportions, tempered with some cultural activity … was this too much to ask? We’d soon find out ….

My final week of work didn’t prove to be the usual wind down you’d expect with so much going on, however it didn’t stop the guys from getting me some excellent presents: a Leinster Rugby Jersey and a traditional Leinster kilt. I was actually pretty emotional about it so a big thanks to all at NewTel, it has been an amazing 12 months and I hope we all get to have a beer together again at some point, which I’m sure we will.

With the formalities out of the way we headed in to town for the obligatory farewell to Dublin drinks, after a couple of hours and beers with just Horse I had begun to question my value to the organisation but fear not soon Sheillsy turned up and with Mouse, Ange, One Fiddy, Craig & Rui winging their way over it would prove to be a massive night winding up early hours of the morning. This meant all plans for cultural events were scrapped for Satruday as we spent the entire day in bed then up at the hotel bar bidding farewell to the locals, again until the early hours.

Sunday rolled around and once more we missed out on the majority of our planned cultural events bar getting to Croke Park to watch the Leinster Hurling final, which unfortunately was a rather one sided affair. However if you have never seen a game of Hurling make the effort to do so, it consists of 2 teams running around with fat hockey sticks clubbing each other as they try to score rugby or soccer type goals … mental!

So then, lets run through the weekend checklist:
1.    Rock and Roll lifestyle – check.
2.    Drinking in the culture – 50% (we did drink didn’t we!?!?).

So farewell to Dublin and Ireland, I have had a magnificent time here and will always have the country and of course the people, near to my heart. In fact it isn’t until you spend some time in Ireland you realise just how similar Aussies and in particular Aussie culture is.

Tags: Party time

 

About worker


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.