Existing Member?

William's Walk The Great Walk on the Great Wall of China is fantastic. As the son of a cancer victim, I take great pleasure doing my share towards fighting cancer. Walking on the Great Walk is so challenging, but I will beat it, just like we’re going to beat cancer…

Facts and Figures Report - Death Toll 60,560

CHINA | Saturday, 24 May 2008 | Views [846]

Recuing Process

Recuing Process

Following are the latest facts and figures about the massive 8.0-magnitude earthquake that rocked southwest China's Sichuan Province on May 12:

The death toll from the quake rose to 60,560 nationwide as of Saturday noon, while 352,290 people were injured and 26,221 people were missing. 75,086 quake-injured people were medicated, 40,644 people left hospital already, while there were 3,484 people died in hospital. The total saved or medicated people numbers 289,457. 

Domestic and foreign donations had reached 26.1 billion yuan(3.7 billion U.S. dollars), up 1.5 billion yuan overnight. And 3.68 billion yuan had been forwarded to the earthquake-affected areas.

A total of 448,140 tents, one of the most urgently needed relief supplies, had been delivered to quake regions.

A total of 35,458 makeshift houses, 2,419,347 quilts and 3,304,526 garments had been sent to these regions.

The government disaster relief fund reached 15.1 billion yuan (2.2 billion U.S. dollars) as of 2 p.m. Saturday. The fund included 11.1 billion yuan from the central budget and 4 billion yuan from local budgets.

As of Saturday noon, 178 aftershocks measuring above 4 on the Richter scale had been monitored in Sichuan and among them, 27aftershocks measured above magnitude 5, and four above magnitude 6.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.