Existing Member?

Will It Rain Away

The Final Curtain

THAILAND | Wednesday, 13 August 2008 | Views [808] | Comments [3]

..........and so, the end is near and now we reach the final  curtain............da dum de da da dum, la la la le, something something highway.....da da da...................I did it myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy

Yes, that's right folks - 3 hours and counting until we head off to Bangkok airport to catch our flight to Sydney. Mixed feelings really. Obviously excitement at seeing loved ones and eating cheese and drinking wine. But still a little sad that the time has flown so fast and that we will soon have to resume our roles of being responsible citizens of the world. I am telling you it is SO much better not having any responsibilities! But hey, as the say, all good things come to an end - and we know that there will be many more good things in store for us, even if some of it will involve working for a living.

The last 3 weeks since the last blog have been great. More beautiful beaches and good times have been had. Highlights included an Island called Ko Hai on the west coast, where we were the only people on a beautiful beach.

Another highlight has been Raina's quest for the holy grail- or search for sticky rice as it is more commonly known. Searching high and low for the memorable sticky rice she ate 10 years ago in Thailand, it seemed to have all but disappeared from the country. In the first 2 weeks only one restaurant had sticky rice, but for the astronomical price of 200 baht ($6) Still, these were desperate times and the price was paid. The next success came at a night market in Trang, where there were many kinds of sticky rice on offer, for only 20-30 baht. However this place was only a stopover for one night and so Raina struggled to consume the amount of rice she would have liked. Two weeks followed with no sticky rice to be found anywhere on the islands of Koh Hai or Koh Tao (hard times) However, on arrival back in Bangkok and a change of hotel from the last time we were here, we have finally found a sticky rice and mango seller. Only 20 baht a pop. So far Raina is consuming 2-3 portions a day, with no signs of tiring of it. Happy times!

I will be putting some photos up on the blog soon of the final few weeks- but the camera cord has gone astray, so we need to get a new one at the airport.

To those of you in Australia - namely my lovely family, we will see you very soon. Mine's a glass of red wine thanks! Please don't take us to any Thai restaurants for the moment or make us any dishes involving rice or noodles. In fact, please don't cook for us at all, as we are dying to do some cooking after 6 and a half months of eating breakfast, lunch and dinner in restaurants.

To those in England - some of you will be seeing us very soon, as we are back in London for a while and also Italy for the marriage of Poppy and Carlo. Can't wait to see you all - we have missed everyone so much. We look forward to meeting Blake Lyons for the first time, who was born shortly after our departure, and who's progress we have been following on Meg's blog. Thank God for the internet - it makes you feel so close to everything that is happening. Still nothing beats seeing people in the flesh. I am pretty sure I will still be drinking red wine by the time we see you,so mines a glass of Pinot and Will wants a pint of cider.Chris and Anna - you know the deal with the cheese right?

and so, we are off to enjoy a final massage, before getting ready to leave. Goodbye Thailand, hello Australia.

xxWill it Rain

Comments

1

What mixed emotions you must have at finishing this leg of the adventure! We are soo looking forward to seeing you in just a few weeks. Matt was playing some of the Topsail Island video the other night, I was sitting on the couch, and hearing your voices (Will was discussing the merits of Sivewright - or however you spell it - as his middle name) made me feel simultaneously like it had been no time, and ages, since we've seen you! Enjoy your wine and see you soon...

  Meg Aug 13, 2008 6:30 PM

2

I think I can speak for us both when I say that we certainly do know the deal with the cheese!! Will stockpile in preparation for your visit... Goes without saying that I cannot wait to see you both (in fact, I can speak for Chris on that score too)

Catch up soon,

A xx

  Anna Aug 15, 2008 1:02 AM

3

Hey my dears,

Have been terribly remiss at visiting your blog but have just given myself a whistle stop tour of your trip and it all looks totally blissful. Really looking forward to seeing those lovely brown faces of yours and catching up on all the news.

Have a blast in Italy,

B x

  Becks Sep 2, 2008 5:09 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.