Existing Member?

Will It Rain Away

Roughing it in Thailand

THAILAND | Thursday, 24 July 2008 | Views [1149] | Comments [1]

Will reading on Koh Lanta

Will reading on Koh Lanta

Well with only three weeks to go, we thought we would step up the pace a little and see all of Thailand. Not. Actually we are now inclined to do as little as possible and to spend our days lazing on the beach. So far we have had some success with this, but not as much as we hoped, due to the weather.

Our first four days on Koh Lanta, saw us waiting out the weather in a beautiful cabin up on a hill, overlooking the bay. We came to Lanta to meet up with our friend Suzie, who we originally met at Jungle Beach in Vietnam. So, we still had some great laughs as the rain came down. Still was warm enough to go swimming in between rain showers, but the surf and rips were pretty dangerous.

Finally the sun came out and we had 3 days of beautiful weather. We went on a boat trip to Emerald cave, which was pretty exhilarating. You had to access it from the sea, and donning flippers and life vest the guide took us through a narrow opening in a rock with the tide coming in with us. 80 metres through a winding cave with one flashlight took us out into an interior lagoon. Apparently people were stranded in there for days when the Tsunami hit. We only stayed in the lagoon for ten minutes as he said that in half an hour it would be high tide and impossible to get out. I swam pretty fast to get back, I can tell you. As we got to the exit though, you realised why it was called Emerald cave, as the light reflecting off the white sand of the ocean floor made it glow green. It was so beautiful and scary at the same time!

We are now stuck in an internet cafe, waiting out some monsoonal rains, in the crappy seaside town of Ao Nang. We are trying to get across to a deserted island called Koh Poda, but the weather is working against us.

Still, I have only good weather photos to upload and I am sure none of you will sympathise with us when you see them! It is bucketing down....I promise you.

Off now to eat some lunch and say a prayer to the rain God to get us the hell away from Ao Nang.

Till next time (or the next storm)

Will it Rain (yes it will)

Comments

1

Lovely, as always, to catch up with your blog and see your pics. It is rather hard to summon much sympathy for your rain situation. Today London is enjoying the hottest day of the year... however, I'm in a very hot office trying to get a multi-version magazine signed off by lots of different people so can't enjoy it at the moment!

Can't wait to catch up in person - hope the sun shines on you soon.... Love A xx

  Anna Jul 24, 2008 11:11 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.