Existing Member?

My "Working" Holiday Here are some of the amazing things that I have done during my time Down Under. Share in my experience by reading my articles or viewing my photo galleries.

Phnom Penh

CAMBODIA | Friday, 9 March 2007 | Views [860]

Likened to a phoenix rising from the ashes, Phnom Penh has emerged as a vibrant modern city, quite the stark contrast to the days of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge. As Cambodia's capital, Phnom Penh is home to 2 of its 15 million. It is the wealthiest city and is considered the country's political, commercial, and cultural hub. Geographically the city is located at the confluence of the Tonle Sap and Mekong Rivers. Historically the name comes from the small hilltop Cambodian temple of “Wat Phnom Daun Penh” (wat=temple, Phnom=hill, Daun Penh=wealthy widow). In 1866 under the rule of King Norodom, Phnom Penh became the permanent seat of the government and the Royal Palace was built as the king's residence.

In 1975 during the height of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge, Phnom Penh was a ghost town. Its inhabitants evacuated by force, and the residents made to labor on rural farms as the “new people”. After the Vietnamese drove out the Khmer Rouge in 1979, people returned to Phnom Penh, and with the help of foreign aid began to rebuild their city. Despite decades of war, the city retains its traditional Khmer and French colonial charm. Today, garments and tourism are the main industries. New hotels, restaurants, and residences are springing up all around the city. The main attractions include the Royal Palace, Wat Phnom, Independence Monument, the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, and the Choeung Ek Killing Fields.

Despite recent progress, Cambodia remains the poorest country in all of Southeast Asia, mainly due to decades of war, civil unrest and political corruption. Rice and fish are its main agricultural exports. Rubber, timber, and garments are also vital to the country's foreign trade. The US dollar is the major form of currency. Not sure how that works, but even the ATM's dispense good old Benjamin Franklin's. 1999 marked the first full year of peace in 30 years, and with it renewed foreign investments and an increase in tourism. Khmer is the official language, but English is gradually becoming more widely spoken. In addition to being a poor country, Cambodia is a young country with more than 50% of the population being less than 25 years old. And if the genocide wasn’t enough, UNICEF has designated Cambodia as the third most mined country. Most of its land mine victims are children herding animals or playing in the fields. Adult mine survivors are often forced into a life of begging, as after amputation many are unable to work in the fields, further contributing to the country's poverty. The moped is the preferred mode of travel. No license is required, so drive and cross the street at your own risk.


Take a tour with me in the “Sites of Phnom Penh”.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.