Existing Member?

My "Working" Holiday Here are some of the amazing things that I have done during my time Down Under. Share in my experience by reading my articles or viewing my photo galleries.

Perth

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 18 February 2007 | Views [944]

For some reason my heart always seems to heed the call of the earlier pioneers to head west. This time instead of Colorado, it was Perth, WA. The capital city of the largest of the seven states, Western Australia, it's population is just under 1.5 million people. Like back home the west boasts a dry heat. Now the saying always used to bug me a bit. It can be pretty darn hot in Denver. But I have to say that after the humidity and rain on the Sunny Coast (Sunshine Coast) in the two weeks leading up to my trip, I have to say that a dry heat is much more pleasant than the wet sticky kind.

Anyways, Perth is one of the fasting growing cities in Australia, largely due to the natural resources found in the territory including gold, iron, nickel, diamonds, coal and oil. The city was founded in June 1829 by Captain James Stirling. Originally named Boorloo by the Aboriginal tribes, Stirling renamed the city after Perthshire, the birthplace of Sir George Murray, the Secretary for the War and the Colonies. What is now referred to as the CBD (central business district) was built up from the banks of the Swan River. So named for the black swans that swim its waters.

Today, visitors can enjoy fantastic views of the city from Kings Park. Situated atop Mount Eliza. The park is a mixture of grassed parkland, botanical gardens, and natural bushland. It also houses a memorial to the men and women of Australia who lost their lives fighting in the World Wars. A short trip south along the coast of the Indian Ocean will take you to the towns of Fremantle, an eclectic hippie town, and Rockingham where you can swim with wild bottle nose dolphins. The plains of the Swan River northwest of the city center and Margaret River, a three hour trip southwest, house the vineyards of the many wineries. White grapes tend to grow better than red, so the region is known for its Chenin Blancs as well as its Verdelhos. Gail and I sipped a few glasses while Gloria drove the tour bus.

19 kilometers off the western coast of Fremantle lies Rottnest Island. Separated from the mainland by rising seas over 7,000 years ago, it measures only 11 kilometers long and 4.5 kilometers wide, but boasts over 60 beaches and 20 bays for the sunbathers, swimmers, and snorkelers delight. Called Wadjemup or "place across the water" by the Noongar tribe. The island earned its common name Rottnest after the Dutch fleet captain Willem de Vlamingh mistook the Quokka, a marsupial, for a large rat. As all of Australia, the island started off as an Aboriginal settlement later taken over by the Europeans. At times it served as an Aboriginal prison, a military training site, and most recently for recreation. Most people hire a bike and cycle around the island stopping along the way for a dip in the clear blue waters. Unfortunately, I happened to be traveling with Gail who is a magnet for natural disasters, and the weather wasn't so hot (pun intended). After enduring a cyclone in the Whitsunday's, she now claims a 5.2 Richter earthquake in Shark Bay just a few hours north of the city. The biggest recorded in the area in 50 years. Go Gail! Ps. Remind me not to take an international flight with you, although I wouldn't mind meeting up with Jack and Sawyer : )

Not for the faint at heart is the Rottnest Channel Swim. Each year swimmers take the plunge into the Indian Ocean at Cottesloe Beach and swim the 19 kilometers to Rottnest Island. Some do it solo, while others make the trip relay style. I would have hedged my bets on Gloria taking the gold, but due to inclement weather the race was postponed. Eh hem Gail.

Well that's all for now. Hope I didn't bore you too much with all the details. Next up Southeast Asia, so keep checking for updates. Cheers!

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.