Existing Member?

My "Working" Holiday Here are some of the amazing things that I have done during my time Down Under. Share in my experience by reading my articles or viewing my photo galleries.

Mon Repos

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 17 January 2007 | Views [968]

French for "my resting place", Mon Repos Conservation Park is home to the largest concentration of nesting marine turtles in Australia. Loggerhead turtles are the main species, but flatback, green and leatherback turtles can also be found. All are endangered species.

After the "lost years", 30+ years of swimming the open seas, female turtles return to their birthplace to come ashore and lay eggs of their own. Courtship takes place in the shallow waters near the nesting beaches from November to March of each year. She can lay up to six clutches of 100 or more ping-pong sized eggs at two week intervals. After making her way high up on the beach, she clears an area of sand with her carapace or body to create a smooth surface for her nest. Using only her back flippers, she digs down about 1 1/2 feet forming her egg chamber in the shape of an uspide down funnel. Only to fill it all back in after laying her eggs, before smoothing it out again with her carapace for protection from predators. Six to eight weeks later, baby hatchling turtles break their way free from their sandy nests and make their way to the sea guided by the lowest level of light on the horizon. The sex of the hatchlings depends on the temperature of surrounding sand. Warm, dark sand produces mostly females, where as cool, white sand mostly males.

To ensure successful hatchlings, the beaches of Mon Repos are patrolled by volunteers from dawn until dusk every evening throughout the entire breeding season. If a nest is too low on the beach, such that the water table would prevent proper hatchling development, the eggs are relocated into a manmade chamber on higher ground. Additionally, the turtles are easily frightened and confused by light, sometimes returning to the sea without laying her eggs. So flash pictures are limited as to not interfere with the nesting process. The adult females are measured and tagged so that their nesting patterns can be logged for research.

What an amazing experience! I have to say that this is one of the most incredible things I have seen. From start to finish, I was in awe of her. She has since been named Gloria. Think Laura Brannigan, not Van Morrison. Needless to say, whenever Gail, Megan, and I are on a roadtrip we belt out in her honor, "Gloria, Gloria. I think I got your number, Gloria". Come on sing along with me, I know you know the words. To see her in all of her "glory"a take a look at the Not Just a Big Head photo gallery.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.