Existing Member?

Sabrina's Travel Notes

Tuol Sleng and exploring

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 2 June 2011 | Views [410]

My first day on PP was a bit funny.  I woke up rather late--after the 25 hour journey from the UK, and had my first mission of finding a phone.  I went in my first tuk tuk and manage to complete the task with a lovely driver called Rethy.  Then, a cheeky massage, emails, another nap, and dinner with my future colleagues and some of their friends.  It was a great first day and we went to an ex-pat bar.  All in all, great group of people and really good fun.  It was nice to see that there were so many people here for reasons very similar to my own.

Day 2:  I'm feeling more brave and decided to go and see the town before work starts tomorrow.  I started off with a visit to Tuol Sleng, the S21 Khmer Rouge Prison, which happens to be just around the corner from my hotel.  It was rather embarassing to get in a tuk tuk to go about 200 meters around the corner.  I did manage to get a map today so as not to embarass myself further.

Tuol Sleng:  I don't think this needs much explanation.  It was very sad, somber and horrible to imagine what these thousands of people had to go through.   Let it be a lesson to future generations of enduring pain that this kind of hatred can cause.  I've posted a few photos, certainly not of the most disturbing things I saw there.  

Afternoon: Got in a tuk tuk into the centre of town-- I wanted to walk along the river.  The moment I got out of the tuk tuk, the sky opened up and I got very wet, very quickly.  I really must go and find a raincoat tomorrow.  Then I walked around, and ended up at Phsar Thmey market, met up with a few people I had met last night for dinner, and thats all.  All in all, productive, but I definitely ready to start work tomorrow.

x

About whitesa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.