Existing Member?

Velocity:Inertia Stories of my Adventures

Nz adventures

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 3 November 2015 | Views [379]

I've fallen behind on updates!

Highlights of New Zealand so far:

-Walking up to see Mount Eden, a volcanic crater sacred to Maori tribes

-visiting Auckland domain to see beautiful flowers and the main museum to look at ancient Maori artifacts

-Waitomo Glow worm caves!!! Had to bus a few hours each way but it was worth it. I went on Halloween and our guides, who were both women that might have been younger than me, dressed in full costume over their wet suits (lady joker and catwoman). We had wet suits too, and were encouraged to find inner tubes that best fit out arses. I chose a smaller one. Then we floated in the dark looking at the glow worms, hiked through the cave, and jumped backwards off of small waterfalls. It was really, really cold!!! And hilarious. Couldn't have asked for better guides.

- hung out with a futurist urban planner who is a friend of a friend. She seems to know like every genius living artist ever, particularly if they're from nz. More importantly she is probably one of the most intelligent and forward thinking people I have ever met. She took me to the Auckland art gallery downtown and told me about the artists and the symbolism in their masterpieces. Also took me to a beach near the suburbs with a view of a dormant volcano. I was so impressed by her and humbled by how generous she was spending the afternoon with me and taking me around.

- volunteered for a couple hours at Austin city mission learning about their org and served coffee and tea to clients who are currently homeless

-went back to the art gallery a second time because I liked it so much

-scribbling, drawing, and dancing in a room that I had to myself for a full two nights!! This is seriously a big deal for me in a good way, so I'm glad I spoiled myself.

This afternoon, I am flying to Wellington and staying there for a week. Goals include visiting an Eco-sanctuary at night to spot an elusive kiwi bird, checking out the arts scene, taking a ferry to the South Island, and networking.

Tags: auckland, glow worms, waitomo

About wheresmypants


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.