Existing Member?

Velocity:Inertia Stories of my Adventures

Untitled

INDONESIA | Tuesday, 27 October 2015 | Views [288]

I made the most wonderful mistake of picking too awesome of a place to stay at the first couple of nights in Bali. I slept in late both mornings because it was so peaceful, with only a screen for the window and the breeze rolling through.

I took an art lesson through a museum/ resort... They linked me up with a 75 year old local artist named Wayan Pendet. I really enjoyed spending time with him and getting to know him. He said he had 8 grandchildren and had never left Bali, which is quite typical... Not enough money and sometimes no desire to leave either. He had been drawing and painting since 1954 and was kind enough to pose for a photo next to the masterpiece he had in the museum. I felt super honored to work with him.

Another highlight was getting to hold a toucan (?) bird on my arm that they called John of all names. Lol. Being around that animal made me so unexpectedly happy... He not only had a distinctive personality, but he was a total Ham, not unlike another John I know. :P

I left Bali Monday afternoon to start the journey to New Zealand. I left my boots at the hostel and luckily realized with enough time to turn around. I then spent the whole ride to the airport trying not to throw up due to overheating and motion sickness from the crazy driving. Thank the universe for Dramamine.

I was admittedly relieved to be leaving Asia. That doesn't mean I regret going, of course... A curiosity that has been with me much of my life has been satiated... For now ;)

Now I am in New Zealand, feeling jet lagged and homesick... Generally how I feel after a days worth of traveling. Looking forward to the fresh start tomorrow!

 

About wheresmypants


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.