Existing Member?

Velocity:Inertia Stories of my Adventures

Last day in Ha Noi

VIETNAM | Monday, 19 October 2015 | Views [297]

Since returning from Halong Bay, I've been staying in a dorm room at Sanctuary Hostel. It is an amazing place that I would definitely stay at again. Here I've met other solo female travelers from the US as well as people from Sweden, Canada and France. One of the women, at 23, has been here long enough to acquire a motorbike that she is now trying to sell. I still have yet to develop such bravery and independence in myself and was extremely impressed. Another had acquired a job as a kayak/ rock climbing guide.

I chose to spend time alone yesterday, walking around and observing the seemingly chaotic daily life of Ha Noi city dwellers. I saw a group of people get into a passionate yelling match with each other, over what I cannot say. I walked around Hoan Kiem Lake thinking and reflecting, after having scribbled in a notebook at a cafe that overlooked the lake.

Overall I didn't push myself too hard but just kept moving. I was curious about talking to the elderly women I saw by the lake, but I was too shy to bother them and see if they knew English. I took some holiday snaps (my new favorite phrase) and said a prayer to this ancient and sacred lake, silently thanking it for being there for me to enjoy.

Today I am flying to Bangkok, where I will be picked up by a friend of a friend. My short time in Vietnam has been eye opening and interesting. I hope I can come back someday for a little longer!

 

Tags: ha noi, vietnam

About wheresmypants


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.