Existing Member?

True Makings

A home in Ireland

IRELAND | Tuesday, 3 June 2014 | Views [232]

I have never seen so much green all in one place! We flew into Cork and Shane was there to meet us. I missed him, and I know Patrick really did as well. We drove around the grey and old streets of Cork. The elections had just ended so signs with unfamiliar faces were plastered all over the city. We arrived at our home for the weekend, Shane's place. Shane had three other roommates, but we very quickly realized it was more like eight rommates with friends and girlfriends all packed into the same duplex. Every bed seemed to be up for grabs. We immediately went out for a pint at a place called Crane Lane. I kept calling it Crane Row because I have a need to fill in the gaps of my memory with different words and then convince myself that I am right. It was exactly like a lane, or a row. We have some Irish beer, I stuck with Bulmer's pretty much the whole trip as it very quickly became my new favorite cider. The boys tried their luck at some stouts. Shane still insists that Beamish is better than Guinness. I'll leave that assessment to the professionals, since I have never been a fan of Stout. I realized I would always feel very tall in this country. Being a little over 5'9" I was a beast amongst the girls. I was used to that from growing up in Portugal, but Holland has spoiled me and convinced me I was on the shorter side of average. 
I had been putting all the things I thought I knew about Ireland to a test since we arrived. Drink a lot, check. Super friendly, big check! Gingers? Not so many. Everything I thought I knew had been a lie! Damn brunnettes and blondes! It was the first time I had ever satyed in a place with so many people. I was used to livig alone by now, or maybe with one roommate, but never a house full of people. I thought it would be overwhelming, but it was impossible to not be constantly surrounded by these people, they were contagiously kind and so full of energy. I felt extremely welcomed and like my people had been waiting for me here, this whole time. For once, I wasn't the one dominating a conversation. I was humbled into silence and enjoyed listening. One night after going out (which we did every night), we came back to the house and we had an entourage of at least 9 people. Patrick convinced me to stay awake as a guitar made it's way into our circle and one by one a couple of our nw friends closed their eyes and sang us some songs. I could tell that this wasn't the first time they had done this, it wasn't FOR us, we were just welcomed to be a part of it. I listened as I fell in love with every part of Ireland and of how it made me feel. 
After a couple days of giant Irish breakfasts and incredible hospitality, we headed to Dublin with Shane, where we would be for another 3 days. I knew cities in Europe could be quite big, impressive, and overwhelming, I had been to Paris after all, but Dublin was something else. It had so many colossal limestone buildings that made me jealous of the people who got to work in them, or even live, if that was possible. I had really wanted to see Trinity College, as a scholar and potential student of there, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I would like to think of myself as a confident strong person, but this place made me feel small, intimidated and a little unworthy. It also made me determined to become someone worthy of attending such a place. I looked around at the people just walking around, casually, like they had no idea how lucky they were to be able to steo foot into such grateness and gigantic wonder. The amount of incredible minds that had attended there and been a part of something so amazing was seeping through the walls of the enormous buildings. I knew that more than anything I wanted to be a part of it, a part of all of it. Ireland changed me, and pushed me forward. I anted to feel that way all the time and never forget what got me there in the first place. I wanted to be different. This was going to be a great move for me, with so much of what I have always wanted. Ireland is a place of art and freedom. The amount of talent and skill that have walked around in these very same streets were daunting, but exciting. 

About whatyoumakenotuptofate


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.