Existing Member?

Vietnam 2012 Look once, look twice, look three times, pray and cross the street.

7th July - HCMC to Home

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 7 July 2012 | Views [497]

After breakfast we were still in our room updating the blog when the power goes off. So we got ready and headed down 6 flights of stairs to reception to find that the power is going to be off until 2.00pm. Our check out time is 12 noon. We headed off to the Post Office to get a book Kevin wanted for his dad. Kevin said he knew the way but when we got to the park 23/9 he wanted to head off in the total opposite direction. We went the right way and when we got to the Notradame Cathedral (Built 1880) it was open so we went inside and had a look around. This is at 9.00am and we saw two couples who were having wedding photo's taken outside the Cathedral. Went into the Post Office but the book was not there. Bought a couple of pictures that are made by the Deaf, handicapped of HCMC who fold up paper into figurines. Knew we could get the book just down the road at a bookshop as we had called in on our way. We then headed to the department store as kevin wanted to get some Nike thongs he had seen but when we got there they didn't have his size. They were however having a 50% sale on a lot of items. Didn't buy anything here and headed toward the Rex Supermarket when we passed another Nike store. Kevin bought a couple of T-Shirts and I got a pair of shoes that are so light and comfortable. Changed some more money at the gold shop and headed back to hotel for showers and to check out. Poor staff had to carry our heavy 26-30kg bags down 6 flights of stairs. Headed out to grab a bite to eat at an air conditioned coffee shop. Said our goodbyes to the staff at Beautiful Saigon Hotel and told them we would see them next year. No major problems at the airport in HCMC and Kuala Lumpar as our luggage allowance is 30 kg each. Must say these airports seem to have more staff than those in Aussie and it is a breeze getting through all the check points etc. Landed back in Adelaide on Sunday morning at 7.20 am after very little sleep as we were sitting right in front of the centre toilets so we got the flushing noises and bright lights each time the door was opened. Took a while to get through immigration as they only had 3 open stations and then we headed for duty free to stock up on Southern Comfort $31 a bottle. Customs was relative easy as I had but all our declarable items in the hand luggage. Kevin travelled in his shorts and was a little cold when we left the airport as it was only 6 C. Got home and started unpacking, went and picked up the cat Bayley from the cattery. Kevin is now very depressed and is keen to retire so that we can travel more. It will take a lot to keep him motivated past the World Bowls in November 2012. Thanks everyone for following our trip and I hope you enjoyed it. See you all soon. Signing off for 2012.

About wendy-kevin


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.