Existing Member?

Weiss Family our adventures beyond southern california

Cold days in Paris

FRANCE | Thursday, 14 February 2008 | Views [391]

Our first full day in Paris started smoothly and ended poorly.  I just love this apartment Mary Anne scored for us - everything about it feels like history.  Running the length of the main room is an enormous wood beam, and it probably was installed in the early 1600's.  

We spent most of the day at the Musee d'Orsay.  For those of you who don't know it, it is an amazing collection of paintings and sculptures housed in an old train station.  The station has undergone a spectacular and modern renovation and the physical space is as dramatic as the contents. The high point for me was the van Gogh room - specifically two of his self-portraits.  I've loved these paintings for many years and seeing them felt like visiting dear old friends.

We bundled up and then we walked through the streets to the Eifel Tower. It was great fun to walk a few blocks, turn a corner, and see it each time getting larger and larger.  When we finally got there the sun was setting, and the lights on the tower were first coming on. I know it is such a tourist icon but I tell you, it was pretty spectacular!  The kids ran up the first 700 steps and they were disappointed to find out that you have to take the elevator the rest of the way. 

Afterwards, we had a great dinner of Indian food and then took the Metro home.  Sadly, Elijah got sick in the middle of the night and it ended up a very long, almost sleep-less evening for Mom & Dad, but still, it was a great  day!

Miss you all,

Joel

Tags: Adventures

About weissfamily


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.