Existing Member?

Don't foget to pack a smile A journal of an aussie gal's adventures while living and working in UK and riding the wave that is travel

jack frost is just around the corner

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 11 September 2008 | Views [601]

Well I suppose it would come as no surprise to everyone that its starting to get colder over here and I'm actually enjoying it.

Over here you can really feel, see, touch and sense the seasons. I felt spring, the greeness the baby animals, the flowers and vibrance of it, i barely felt summer but it was here, however briefly it was and now autumn is in full force.

The trees are starting to turn orange and leaves are beginning to fall. The wind is starting to get a real bite to it and the days are becoming shorter, its now pitch black at 8pm, no longer days now and very soon the clocks will soon be going back and we truly will be having shorter days.

Everyone has started to rug up, scarves, woollen coats and the air is sharper to breathe in. I love it. I am looking forward to a real winter, a winter where snow will be about hopefully...and I'm already investigating an electric blanket and some funky tights to wear in winter.

The fashion over here, especially for winter is amazing, you can be all rugged up and still look completely stylish. Of course this is quite an art and I'm still trying to shrug off the slightly woken up or backpacker style look at the moment but I'm getting there. I'm going to treat myself to a few little fashion bits and pieces from H&M, Dorothy Perkins and get a proper london fashion fix.

There are a few things I've noticed that come with the season, such as umbrellas. In london particuarly on the tube, there is no such thing as manners, its every man or woman for himself, push, shove and make ur way on the train, so no mercy, don't falter or question your direction or you will be knocked down you have to surge ahead even if its in the wrong direction. But this rush our tube rage is even more perilous when rain is involved. Fashion is put aside on the tube, everyone wears runners to work, heels just dont work in transit. But its the umbrellas which are most dangerous, you are making your way through a crowd, you have to dodge pointy umbrellas which people just throw at you. They just barge and honestly i have to put down my head and barge back to avoid being:

a) poked in the eye

b) falling over

c) seeing that I'm also poking someone else in the eye

d)to stop from getting wet

Thats another thing about the rain over here, It is horizontal. Umbrellas don't actually work too well the best of times. Because it just flies plain underneath it.

And another thing about autumn, the falling leaves look so picturesque like you coudl just go and roll around in it and really embrace the fall. But unfortunately its not the case, the leaves are quite damp and cold and they smell, so I was quite dissapointed that I couldn't have my roll around in the leaves.

London is beautiful in Autumn light, it has a soft amber glow, while the clouds linger and showers dash about throughout the city, it still has a soft ambience to it. The squirrels dash about gathering little bits of food for the coming cold. Winter is biting at its heels and bringing some of its greyness to its edges, but at its corner Autumn is lovely. I just can't wait to see London all lit up and decorated at Christmas. I think this is a city that will wear the festive season well with pride.

With jack frost knocking on my window pane and nipping at my heels I am going to make the most of this charming season. I am going to go to many of the parks to see the changes in colour, because it will be brilliantly alight with colour.

And maybe if the days are bright and dry enough I will finally get my roll in the london autumn leaves.

About wandering_jess


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.