Existing Member?

My worldwide wanderings - travel diary

Here it begins!

HONG KONG | Thursday, 11 December 2014 | Views [322]

I'm pleased to report my trip has got off to a good start (and long may it continue!)... The inaugural direct flight from Manchester to Hong Kong I borded was something in itself to behold - check in desk greeting from a dragon dancing to Chinese techno and free cupcakes, which I declined - me! I wasn't so shy though with the free champagne, chocolates and inscribed Hong Kong travel planner - all very lovely. In fact, so far everything has exceeded my expectations. In my first 48 hours in Hong Kong I stumbled upon the mid level escalators, botanical garden and free zoo. I've been to Man Mo Temple and lit incense to bless my travels. Took a bus to the south of Hong Kong Island and caught a glimpse of Stanley and Repulse Bay (sadly a bit chilly to take a dip but beautiful beach). This bus journey also took me to Aberdeen where I boarded a traditional sampan (small fishing boat) for a tour around Aberdeen fishing village. I've also been on my first Star Ferry boat ride across Victoria Harbour to Kowloon and seen the Symphony of Lights nightly laser show. Today I'll explore more of Kowloon and its markets and hopefully get my first sample of the street food - can't wait! As for tomorrow, I've signed up for a trip to Lantau Island to see the Big Buddha, Po Lin Monastery and a stilt village via a glass bottomed cable car - eek! All that and I've still got Victoria Peak, a harbour tour and many other things to see.

Apologies for the lack of pictures so far. It's been a bit smoggy so they haven't come out that well but hope to rectify soon. 

As for beyond Hong Kong and so you can plot roughly where I'll be and when, here's the plan:

Hong Kong to 14 Dec

Fiji to 23 Dec

New Zealand to 27 Jan

Australia (Cairns to Melbourne) to 17 Feb

Singapore to 22 Feb then 3 months free-flow through

Malaysia

Thailand

Laos

Cambodia

Vietnam

Keep in touch via comments / email.

 

About wander-wonder


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.