Existing Member?

World Wandering with the Walkers

Phnom Pehn

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 20 March 2017 | Views [422]

Wednesday 15th March

Had a chilled out day. Went for a swim in the hostel's pool and had a walk around some of the city. Got a beer jug to share in the early evening and then ended up eating dinner at the hostel as going out seemed like too much work!

 

Thursday 16th March

 

Got a shared tuktukfor the day at 8.30am to S21 and the Killing Fields.

We were a bit worried if we would get there as the person we were sharing with had no cash and was having issues with his card at ATM's. Luckily the driver stopped at a bank on the way and it was all sorted so it was just a small delay.

 S21 used to be a school, but was turned into a secret prison and place of torture by the Khmer Rouge. Thousands of people were taken there and only 7 survived. It is now a genocide museum.

In the afternoon we visited The Killing Fields. They are around 15kms from S21 and are were people were taken to be executed and buried.  Many of the bodies have been partially recovered and have been forensically examined. They are now in a temple for remembrance at the site.

It was a very somber day, but very worthwhile.

 

For dinner we went to Evergreen vegetarian restaurant as it had good reviews on trip advisor. Dan's food was good, but I was a bit concerned about mine.

 

Friday 17th March- Saint Patrick's Day!

 

We went for a walk around the city. In the morning we had a look around Central Market. Then we walked along the riverside and saw some if the temples from the outside. We had lunch at Happy Herb Pizza- didn't have their well known pizza- but went for the cheap beer. Dan had a BLT sandwich and he said is was better than a British BLT sandwich and I had tofu and pumpkin soup. My soup was also delicious.

We went back to the hostel to find things getting very noisy with their St Patrick's Day celebrations before heading out for dinner at the Night Market.

About walkersgowandering

Agra 2015

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.