Existing Member?

Where I Wear My Moccasins Juggling the commitments of a student and dreams of a traveller.

Auckland

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 19 July 2008 | Views [591]

Cows in Auckland!  This is on top of Mt. Eden, you can see Sky Tower in the background

Cows in Auckland! This is on top of Mt. Eden, you can see Sky Tower in the background

Well, This was the last destination of my week and half vacation of the North Island for the April mid-semester break.  Sorry for putting this last blog up so late, and all the others too I might add.  Time sure does get away from me!

Auckland. The City of Sails.  The biggest metropolitan area in New Zealand with just over 1 million people.  Sounds good to us Americans or to those who live in or have visited NYC, right?!  Arriving in Auckland in the late afternoon on a bus had me amazed.  The highway system was a tangle and looked like a bowl of spaghetti on my map.  I would have dreaded driving on those roads at rush hour.  Little did I know that my fears were manifested a few months later when my family came to visit and we were driving these very same roads late at night  trying to find our hotel.  Luckily, I wasn't driving; my dad got those honors.  But I had to navigate and I sheepishly say I didn't help out our situation very much.  We ended up crossing a harbor bridge erroneously and had a trying time figuring out how to get back on the dang thing!  Alas, that trip is another story.

After being dropped off at the Britomart, I lugged my pack to the nearest watering hole, which happened to be the mall food court across the street and had a bite to eat.  Then I found which bus I had to take to get to my hostel, The Bamber House.  I checked in, settled in and headed to the grocery store to pick up fuel for the next day.  After a long day of travelling I relaxed with one of the Harry Potter movies in the louge.

The next day I scaled Mount Eden, a dormant volcanic cone.  On my way up (I'm talking like its Mt. Everest, but it wasn't that big, just steep) I came across some Holsteins!  Can you believe it?  Cows in Auckland!  I snapped a photo of a few grazing with the SkyTower in the background.  At the top, I had an amazing 360˚ view of the city and a cool view of the crater itself, it looked like it would be fun to climb into but not allowed. 

Next stop, Auckland CBD.  I had quite a day riding the free shuttle bus in a loop, hanging out and shopping in the Aotea Square Market, walking to Victoria Park Market, having lunch at a cafe near SkyTower and meeting some interesting people along the way.  This was also ANZAC Day, which is a memorial day for soldiers in WWI & WWII.  This meant most of the city was closed for half a day.  It was nice to be in Auckland when it wasn't so busy.  

That night I went to a comedy show.  It was Arj Barker.  He is an American who had a small role in Flight of the Conchords.  Quite a funny show I might add.  It was a unique experience being an American at Barker's comedy show because he inevitably talked about America-and joked about its superiority.  He got some hecklers, which was probably the funniest part of the show.  

The next day I flew back to Chch via Qantas.  I enjoyed my lone experience of NZ, but was also to be back to familiarity.  

About walkamile

At the Strater Hotel in Durango, CO where a scene of

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.