Existing Member?

Where I Wear My Moccasins Juggling the commitments of a student and dreams of a traveller.

Wellington

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 30 April 2008 | Views [605]

Sunny Wellington, the capital of NZ as seen from the top of the cable car.

Sunny Wellington, the capital of NZ as seen from the top of the cable car.

At the conclusion of my field trip in Marlborough, I hopped on a bus (the fare was $1 thanks to nakedbus.com, and no you don't have to be naked to be on it!)to Picton where I would hop a ferry to Wellington.  I was so excited to be on a ferry again & it brought back memories of Seattle.  Unfortunately, I didn't take into account the time of day I booked my trip & I didn't get to see the Marlborough Sounds due to the cover of night.  I made it safely to my hostel, YHA Wellington, which was quite nice for being a hostel.  I had never stayed in a hostel on my own & I might have been spoiled from this experience!  I stayed on one of the top floors, so had a good view of the harbour.  My roommates were three girls from the UK, it must have really easy for them to travel!  There were two kitchen areas & both were large & well equipped.  In many respects, I thought this place was better than hotels & motels I've stayed at in the US.

Over the next two days, I saw the sights! I visited, Parliament, Botanic Gardens, Te Papa (a great museum), the wharf, Museum of Wellington City & Sea, Mt. Victoria, famous churches, the cable car & its museum, different cafes and the like.  The highlight was when I stepped onto the bus of a tour I booked through nakedbus.com (also for $1)and found out I was the only on it!!!  That was the last thing I was expecting that day.  I got my own private tour of the city & coastline in a big charter bus for $1!  I wonder if that's how celebrities feel like everyday...

About walkamile

At the Strater Hotel in Durango, CO where a scene of

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.