Existing Member?

The Golden Road to Samarkand We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow Across that angry or that glimmering sea. Surely we are brave who take the Golden Road to Samarkand. - Hassan by James E. Flecker

Uni is finished… so what’s next ?

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 1 December 2011 | Views [614]

After a four year Bachelor of Arts Degree plus an Honours degree in Modern History, my time as a student has finally reached its conclusion. No more tutorials, no more lectures and sadly no more 10am sleep-ins. The inevitable “so what are you going to do next?” question that plagues every recent graduate, has been stalking me like a hungry lion eying a juicy fat gazelle from the tall dry grass in the heart of the African wilderness. It has finally pounced, sunk its teeth in and is gripping me like a vice. “What do I do next?” Well the obvious answer is to get a full time job hopefully on the career path that I want but as a budding journalist, experience is the key and is also the key that I have yet to obtain.

 

So my goal – get experience. But after such a full on year of study with Honours, a holiday is also just as important… My solution – combine getting work experience and a holiday!! On December 20th 2011 I will be embarking on a 14 day expedition of the Sub Antarctic Islands to assist with the filming of a documentary and to work on some articles that I will submit for free to travel magazines and newspapers. The trip begins in Bluff in the very south of the South Island of New Zealand and we head around Milford, Dusky and Doubtful Sounds before heading to Stewart, Snares, Campbell and Macquarie Islands. So what is the extent of my knowledge of the wildlife, environment and history of the Sub Antarctic’s? Limited.

 

Here are the six things I know about the Sub Antarctic’s:

  1. It is bloody freezing
  2. there are penguins
  3. and seals
  4. and birds
  5. and whales
  6. and that I am going to freeze important body parts off…

 

Clearly some serious research is in order… stayed tuned fellow nomads and we will gorge ourselves on brain food together!

Tags: articles, cruise, documentary, expedition, experience, new zealand, sub antarctic

About walkaboutthekimberleys

Love trying new things, however for the record I prefer my helicopters to have doors... I'm smiling in this photo because at this point I didn't know that I would be sitting in back very shortly where there were no doors and a seatbelt that only goes over your lap...

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.