Existing Member?

Sometimes things happen.

A pritty assy goodbye

URUGUAY | Friday, 18 April 2008 | Views [821]

Moni getting that essential makeover before returning to Sweden

Moni getting that essential makeover before returning to Sweden

Since the 6th of September of last year, I've been spending almost 24 hours of nearly every day together with Monica the Benitez, save for a stay with relatives here and an overstayed visa there. Other than with my parents, I've never lived so closely to anyone for such a long period of time. The fact that we share almost the same tastes and interests in movies, music, people, clothes, art, politics and society, made our existence together even more intense. Luckily, at least speaking for myself, the experience has only been rewarding. Especially here in Montevideo, where I think we've both felt that we've reached some kind of consolidation of personality (mostly in terms of perspectives on the world, especially politically), it's been really helpful to have someone to discuss new ideas with, someone who is going through the same thing as yourself. It's all extremely cliché; we go off to South America for a year, discover ourselves and emerge as shiny, enlightened versions of our old selves. However, I don’t think the experiences of the past months have pushed me into any new direction in life, nor that I’ve suddenly come to a new understanding of the world, or any related such thing. I merely feel more certain than ever of where I stand on a lot of things. And I’m not sure how much of it has to do with new experiences and how much of it has to do with boring old maturity. Well, look at me; here I was, trying to talk about how much I’ve appreciated getting to know Monica and having her by my side during the trip, and instead I just ended up talking about myself. However, from our discussions, I’ve gathered that she feels more or less the same about these things, and just to really drive the subject firmly into the ground, it’s been fantastic to be able to talk about it with someone you can identify with. I can’t wait to see her in Sweden again, and I’m even more excited about seeing how our paths will continue to cross during the remainder of our adult lives.

So that was all very formal and high-brow; time for a descent. The reason why I devoted so much time on the subject of Moni is of course because she was the hottest thing in Montevideo last weekend. As it was her last one to be spent here before returning to Sweden, the whole city decided to party in her honour.

On Friday night, Maryse and her roomie Caroline had a very much delayed house-warming party that was partly a celebration for Monica as well, as she wasn’t supposed to know anything about the surprise party we were planning for her at our house on Sunday. It was a lot of fun, partly because it brought a whole bunch of our friends together (Maryse, the RYCEs, Sofía and Ana), partly because it was attended by people from quite a few different countries and partly because it had that slight edge of craziness that good parties should have, at least according to movies (a non-functioning toilet containing vomit, neighbours calling the cops, etc.). The cop thing ended up with the whole party ambling the streets in search of a good club or pub but never actually finding one, and our group of friends finished the night at a fast food stand.

Saturday was a little more low-key. The first part of it was spent in a mall called Montevideo Shopping, where we looked for a present for Moni’s brother, and the remainder in a parallel dimension, namely at Leo’s place. We hung out with his family and some other of his and Moni’s colleagues, talking, drinking yummy alcohol made from some palm tree – the name of which I of course can’t remember now – and playing tambores.

On Sunday it was, as mentioned, time for Monica’s big surprise goodbye party. Except that I had been so concerned about her returning on time after going to her aunt’s place in the morning, and the RYCE’s faces so filled with anticipation, that the surprise was probably minimal at best. No matter; we had a good and yummy time filled with pizza (made in our fireplace!), chocolate (on pizza!), dulce de leche (on more pizza!) and good friends (eventually stuffed with pizza)*. The night was spent back in Leo’s neighbourhood again, to watch the comparsa of tambore players together with the RYCEs and Rahel, a Swiss couchsurfer I met the other week. Unfortunately the weather has gotten really cold and that night it was rainy and windy too, so they ended everything early. However, some grappa miel and nice company at Leo’s place made for good comfort and a pleasant ending to what I hope was a fun last weekend for Moni.

*New photos to be found in their usual place.

 

 

Travel Answers about Uruguay

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.