Existing Member?

Sometimes things happen.

Ilha Grande & Paraty

BRAZIL | Wednesday, 19 December 2007 | Views [2267] | Comments [2]

We've continued living la vida gorda, all the way through Rio, Ilha Grande and Paraty.

Rio was great, but I'm not sure I'd like to live there. I liked our neighbourhood, Lapa, and even more the neighbourhood Santa Theresa which we passed on our way to see the not-so-amazing Jesus statue. I loved the beaches (besides Ipanema, which was our favourite, we also visited Copacabana and Leblon), the fact that people walk around in swimming gear and with surfboards in the middle of this huge city, the natural surrondings and the crumbling buildings. However, there was constantly an undertone of violence (maybe I already wrote about this in the previous email), and whether it was due to reality or to what I've heard aout the place, it made me feel uneasy enough to think that I probably won't want to live there. Which is the first time out of all the capitals we've passed on this trip so far.

Before moving on from Rio to Ilha Grande, we lost a Charles. We're all waiting for him to come back from buying beer or having spent an inordinate time in the toilet. We miss youuuuu

Ilha Grande: paradise island between Rio and São Paulo. It reminded me a lot of the islands in Thailand, with its thick vegetation and turqoise waters. The main town was very touristy, but small, pretty and very pleasant. We spent the first afternoon and the next day shaking our fists at the raincloud-filled sky and making the best of it by still going swimming at the beach, taking a walk through the jungle, swimming in a really cool river, hanging out with some Swiss people and and a couple at our hostel of whom one is friends with Thom Calma (who went to school with us in Hanoi). It's a small, small world, people.

The next day was beaautiful, and we trekked through the jungle, stopping at some very nice beaches and finally arriving at what is probably the most beautiful beach I've ever been to, Lopez Mendes. No buildings, only a couple of guys selling drinks and renting out surfboards, really nice waves dotted with surfers and swimmers here and there, turquoise waters, a wide and long beach with white, fine sand and thick vegetation climbing up the island behind us. Niiiiice.

We arrived in Paraty the day before yesterday. It's a really cute little town with white-washed houses with differently coloured door frames and windows. We're staying at an Argentinian-run hostel a short walk out of town, really relaxed and all wooden and cool. We're sharing room and hanging out with Louis, an American living in Montreal and who happens to be a mean cook. It's more of la vida gorda here, what with hanging out at beaches and enjoying the sunshine.

More sad news, however: we were yet again deserted this morning, this time by Alex the Pio. Two gaping holes in the group now; it's weird that it's only Nadja, Moni and I left... But I'm sure we'll still have fun during the last month and a half left of the travelling, so much time left to do a lot of stuff!

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

Comments

1

Jag önskar att ni har en God Jul där nere med varm och sol. Ha det så bra!!!
Cuidense!! Marta
Moni: muchas felicidades! Te queremos mucho!
Mamá.

  Marta Caris Dec 24, 2007 10:05 AM

2

Hey!
Do you know if you could get directly from Isla Grande to Paraty? Without having to pass thru angra dos Reis.
And how long it takes?
Thanks!
Mira

  Mira Feb 5, 2010 2:44 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.