Existing Member?

The long way home After 3 years in the UK we're off back home to NZ, but not before attempting to rid ourselves of the dreaded travel lurgy.

Wining & Dining (& soon to be dieting)

SPAIN | Sunday, 28 October 2007 | Views [950] | Comments [1]

Strolling through the Alsace

Strolling through the Alsace

No more German food!! Yeah! We have finally entered the part of the holiday I wanted. Great food and even better wine. We have adopted the french way of life pretty quickly, eating baguettes, desserts and drinking our share of the wine. It started in Colmar, the Alsace wine region where we strolled from town to town through the vineyards.

In Burgundy we popped into a Coté d´Or wine cellar for a bit of degustation. A jolly frenchman greeted us and proceeded to laugh in our faces after finding out we were kiwis (still only a few days after the RWC exit..), what an idiot! So we decided to take out our anguish by consuming a ´generous´ amount of his €200 Grand Cru (read: half a bottle) after which we both felt better in more ways than one.

Next was Paris and its just as good the 2nd time round, definitley one of our favourite places. We visited the palace at Versailles which was over the top. We also stayed in a town called Blois and cycled through rural France to see the spectacular Chateau Chambord.

We joined a D-Day tour in Normandy for a bit of history lesson. The stories and scale of it all were amazing and the memorials sobering, but a really great experience.

We managed to finally get to Bordeaux after the french rail network decided to go on strike. Bordeaux was really neat. We went to Saint Emillion and booked an educational course in the wine school. The camp guy running it was absolutley hilarious and more than a bit bias to the local drop. We aren´t too sure how the Dutch guy behind us passed the course when all he could smell in the wine was cat piss!

Next day we arrived in San Sebastian in Spain for a tapas feast then onto Madrid.

The actual travelling part is quite relaxed now as we never book anything anymore, we often find ourselves last off the train and spend way too much time in front of vending machines discussing whether to get a fanta or coke zero...

Next, few more days in Spain and then back to France...more wine..yeah!!

Tags: Food & eating

Comments

1

Hey dudes/dudette
Are you still in Germany? Whats the weather like? It is rank in UK ... Cold and nasty. Am in Panto this year as Prince Charming! I know... finally get the thigh boots dusted off! Is there no beginning to my skills???
Am doing the usual promo stuff in a couple of weeks ... will miss Shazza not being around to hold my coat for pole dancing on the stand!
Soon be xmas you guys ... do you know where you'll be 4 that? Lapland maybe with Santa.

Keep the tales of riotous times flowing.

Luv Sharon xx

  Sharon Nov 12, 2007 11:46 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.