Existing Member?

VideoTrekker

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 25 May 2010 | Views [408] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

My family always emphasized the gift of giving, not the kind of giving of texting a $10 donation to Haiti, the kind of giving where you get your hands dirty. The only way I know how to do this is to film. So I had to find a way to get to Port au Prince. I met a medical team based out of NJ and flew to the DR. Braving the 10-hour bus ride to the border; the next hurdle was to get passed Haitian customs. Being with doctors we had a truck full of medical supplies. Sadly the Haitian custom officers wanted to make some extra money and demanded a bribe to let it us cross. Sometimes you have to take a risk. I decided to take risk of walking into the customs office with my camera and asking why we were unable to cross. I know this could of resulted in my camera being seized, but it worked. As a painter paints, I film. This is the medium I use to shine light on beauty and devastation that occurs on our planet every day. I cannot always change peoples lives, however I can help them see past them selves.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

 

Comments

1

Great work. Keep using your camera to shine light.

  rm May 25, 2010 11:27 PM

About videotrekker


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.