Existing Member?

Waves without borders Travelling in search of perfect waves

El Presidente

USA | Wednesday, 13 August 2014 | Views [599]

El Presidente 

Following on from my last post you should be made aware that I have indeed purchased myself a van. After a week of ownership it now goes under the name of Él Presidente´ NB this is contrary to the nickname awarded it by friends new and old; seriously guys pussy palace is not cool even with the retro red velvet and wood panelling look.

 

After some advice from my Airbnb host and a little research on Craigs´ list* I´d found some vans that sounded promising. I was highly sceptical about purchasing a vehicle from what could possibly be a dubious web link, with my mechanical knowledge rating at around 0 and with significant uncertainties as to whether I could even register the vehicle in my name. I weighed all this up against the thought of paying huge amounts in rent to live out of a car for the next 5months and placed some calls. I had found 3 listings and organised viewings of all. It was only en route to the first one that I work out the location was really right next to the Mexican border and the owner was Mexican; stereotypes being what they are and as I was already somewhat nervous, I was almost ready to turn around when I found myself driving through some fairly undesirable neighbourhoods. Determined by this stage I doggedly followed Google Maps and was pleasantly surprised to pop out into a rather pleasant neighbourhood and upon arrival be welcomed into a very well kept home by the owners sweet daughter, who´d arranged everything for her Dad who himself was dubious of Craigs list. He´d just finished couching the local kids football team and was very excited to discover I was English right up until he realised I didn´t know the first thing about football....ooppss points down to me! We exchanged pleasantries, sizing each other up and then I tried to reel off all the questions one is supposed to ask so you look like you know what your doing. About ½ way through I realised I wasn´t fooling anyone, admitted I didn´t have a clue and decided it best just to go for a drive. The whole family hopped aboard grand daughter and all which didn´t help calm my anxieties over driving this beast of a van around the residential streets. My driving can´t have been too bad as the grand daughter persisted to blabber on about the trips her grand dad had taken them oblivious to protestations from her Mum and grandfather for some peace. Even with my total lack of mechanical knowledge, it became quickly apparent that the van was very well cared for so I thought bollocks to it, did some negotiation and committed to picking it up in 3days time.

 

I did still check the other vans and neither the owners nor the vans were as genuine. I did take it to the mechanics to get a full service/check over and was incredibly relieved to hear the mechanics say what great condition the van was in. It was also really easy to register the van at a local registration exchange despite the woman at the DMV telling me it was impossible.

 

So I´m now the proud owner of a 1993 Chevy Conversion Van with 87k on the clock, Subwoofers, a DVD player and swanky interior lighting, oh and did I mention a hoover yep even a hoover!! I am sooo cool ha ha ha ha Love my van

 

I guess it goes to show that sometimes you have to put your faith in other people and not make pre judgements based on stereotypes.

 

 

Note for other travellers: 

www.craigslist.com Craigs´ List is a website of essentially local ads but it´s been brought into the modern age and placed online. Very useful for finding all sorts of used things in your local area and very active in SolCal. 

Despite what the DMV might say it´s relatively easy to register a vehicle as a foreigner. You do need an address so that they can post the DMV certificate to you but it can be a hostel or somewhere you can get mail held. It should take around 2weeks to get there. I got mine done at a local registration renewal/exchange registered place, you have to pay an additional fee for the priviledge but they´re used to foreigners where as the DMV will insist you have to get a Californian license blahblahblah 

Check the smog certificate when you purchase the vehicle it needs to be within 90days for the registration otherwise you have to get it re-done.

About vickey84


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.