Existing Member?

On the Loose in South America

Argentine Arrival

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 31 October 2006 | Views [477]

Hi all!

Just a quick update to let you know I safely crossed the border into Argentina (thankfully reasonably hassle-free this time!), and have spent the last three days exploring northern Argentina.  The area is a maze of tiny villages set in countryside very similar to the wild west of the United states.  In fact, I travelled through the very setting of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (The area bordered a lovely little town called Tupiza).

The Argentine people in these cacti-surrounded villages are the friendliest I have come across on my entire trip.  I need never sit alone sipping a local mate tea, as there will always be a friendly local who approaches for a chat.  I even managed to make a friend at the local ice-creamery yesterday, who offered me spanish lessons for $1 an hour, and spent 30 minutes planning me a route around the small town to see all the main attractions! Unfortunately, I had to leave the next day, so no cheap spanish lessons there for me! :(

Last night signified the end of my Argentine desert explorations, as time is running short, and I had to head back to the city.  I stayed the night in little Cafayete, one of the larger semi-desert towns, and spent the afternoon frollicking and sunbaking at the local swimming pool with a couple of Austrians who I met the day before.  Complete with a large waterslide, free of charge, this swimming pool was a fantastic find, especially given it was 33C!

Tonight, I am in the city of Tucuman, in Northern Argentina.  Although a perfectly pleasant city, with very friendly locals, I must make tracks tomorrow if I am to reach Iguassu Falls in comfortable time.  Tomorrow night, I am therefore boarding a night bus to Posadas, in far north-east Argentina.  Right now, however, my stomach is calling, so I am off to dine in a nearby eatery for what will be, by argentine standards, a VERY early dinner (8pm!).  Hasta Luego Amigos!!!!

    

Tags: Mountains

About vegemite_vagabond


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.