Existing Member?

On the Loose in South America

Beautiful Sucre

BOLIVIA | Wednesday, 18 October 2006 | Views [686] | Comments [1]

I awoke on the bus at dawn, as we were driving through some of the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen.  Huge rolling green hills, surrounding little valleys of green palm trees, fruit trees and flower beds.

WE arrived in Sucre at 8am, and I caught a taxi to the hostel.  I fell in love with this beautiful old town in less than a day, and found some great people to socialise with at the hostel.  I have decided to stay in Sucre for a month, and have spent the last two days arranging some spanish lessons, and volunteer work.  Today, I began volunteering at a type of orphanage for kids with all forms of social, physical and mental disabilities.  Whilst not strictly an orphanage, 70% of the children do not have identifiable parents, because in Bolivia, a disabled child is, in the majority of cases, an unwanted one.  Therefore, they are shipped off to this hostel, where they are given medical treatment, education, a home, and food.  The kids are absolutely lovely, and it is heartbreaking to think that most have parents out there who never want to see them again.  I volunteer there between 9am and midday, helping with feeding, socialising, playing games, and just generally being an extra pair of hands for the overworked, underpaid staff.  Then, in the afternoons, I usually have a spanish class, and enjoy a break of a few hours to eat lunch, do my spanish homework etc.  At 4pm, I visit another orphanage for girls aged about 2 yrs to 15 years, who are orphaned, abandoned, or kicked out of the house.  There are two girls there who are 13 and have just had their first children, but have no money and nowhere to go.  Both have been sexually abused by relatives, and have run away from home.  Sexual abuse is unfortunately a common denominator amongst most of these girls.

Then, at 6pm, I go to the language academy, where I help to teach two clases in english.  The first is a small class of young teenagers, learning rather basic english, and the second is a class of uni students or postgrad students, who for their own reasons want to learn english.  This class is a lot of fun, and the students are really easy to relate to.

At 8pm, I have finished my voluntary working day, and usually return to the hostel to cook dinner, relax, and socialise with other hostellers.  The majority have already become good friends, and are doing various volunteer programs and spanish classes in Sucre for various periods.

I am really enjoying being in Sucre, and its so nice to have a base, after being a nomad for a month.  If I had more time, I might even consider staying longer..........unfortunately, I dont!

Tags: Work

Comments

1

Not too much worry about you getting lonely or bored is there! Wish i could send lauren over to join you - would be great experience for her. Glad sucre has worked out so well for you...can i relax for a month?

  mumsie Oct 20, 2006 8:01 PM

About vegemite_vagabond


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.