Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic NSW - KIRSTY AND CARLY Kirsty and Carly embark on the ultimate Aussie roadtrip as they motor around New South Wales with Van-Tastic Adventures for six action-packed, free-wheeling weeks of adventure.

MORE BYRON BAY!

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 30 September 2009 | Views [1894]

Shopping, Djembe & Snorkelling!

Shopping

We stayed in Byron Bay for 5 nights overall, and found it to be a great little town.  We spent the afternoon after our kayaking adventures wandering around town.  There are lots of cool surf stores, art galleries and restaurants, and we both made a couple of purchases.  We also recommend Cardamom Pod for a feed – they do great vegetarian food!  Byron is also great just for walking around the area.  The beaches are gorgeous, and the views from the top of the headland at sunset are amazing, so make sure you head up there!

Drumming

After listening to the djembe drummers in Nimbin, as well as another group we came across playing on the beach at sunset in Byron Bay, we decided that it was something we needed to learn for ourselves, so we booked a lesson with Gareth, who does drumming tours from Byron.

He picked us up from the centre of town and took us out to his secret drumming spot – an amazing area in the middle of a rainforest, overlooking the ocean.  It’s the perfect place to drum, but you’ll have to give him a call (0449 923 114) if you want to know where it is!  Gareth lived in Africa for years and learnt to play djembe there, so he’s the perfect teacher.  We learnt about 4 different rhythms, and then had a jam session overlooking the ocean.  Right in the middle of it all, we had whales arrive, and they took about 25 minutes to swim by, so it was great to watch them while we were playing!

Snorkelling

On our last morning in Byron, we went snorkelling with the Byron Bay Dive Centre. They took us out to Julian Rocks, a marine park visible from the main beach at Byron.  It’s a beautiful place to snorkel – there are all sorts of fish out there, and one girl we were with even saw a turtle!  My favourite fish was probably the “blue groper” – a huge fish that is a gorgeous blue colour.  There were also some scuba divers that went out with the dive centre on the same boat as us, and apparently the marine life down the bottom of the ocean is pretty spectacular too – one guy saw a grey nurse shark.

After Byron Bay we headed to Yamba, so stay tuned for blog #4 to hear all about this amazing little town!

http://vantastic.worldnomads.com

http://www.twitter.com/vantasticnsw

 

Tags: australia, byron bay, byron bay dive centre, djembe, drums, nsw, road trip, snorkelling, van-tastic adventures, vantastic

About vantasticnsw


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.