Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic NSW - KIRSTY AND CARLY Kirsty and Carly embark on the ultimate Aussie roadtrip as they motor around New South Wales with Van-Tastic Adventures for six action-packed, free-wheeling weeks of adventure.

NIMBIN, MULLUMBIMBY & BYRON BAY

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 27 September 2009 | Views [3328] | Comments [1]

Kayaking with Go Sea Kayak in Byron Bay

Kayaking with Go Sea Kayak in Byron Bay

Vantastic NSW Blog 2

Free BBQ, Day Spa & a Whale!

Nimbin

After leaving Tweed Heads, we set off on the road to Nimbin, a small town in the mountains that is famous for its alternative lifestyle.  What we didn’t realise was just how famous it is – backpackers from all over the world were stopping their cars and campervans outside of town to get their photos taken with the sign!

We wandered around the streets for a while, taking in all of the colourful buildings, and checked out the Nimbin Museum, which is full of old painted kombi vans, rusted metal sculptures and tributes to the town’s cannabis culture.  Although the buying, selling and consumption of cannabis is illegal in NSW, they seem to turn a blind eye in Nimbin, as well as openly rally against the laws.

We followed the sounds of music to the park and came across a group of people from all over the world (Canada, USA, Peru, etc.) playing drums and guitars, and giving away sausages in a free sausage sizzle.  We stopped & listened for a while and chatted to them about what they were all doing in Australia.

Day Spa

Next stop was Mullumbimby, another laid-back mountain town, where we spent a couple of hours in the spas and sauna at Kiva Day Spa.  The spa is set amongst gorgeous rainforest trees and we had a seriously relaxing afternoon recovering from our Mt. Warning climb a couple of days before.  Fantastic!

Whales

We soon made it to Byron Bay, where we’ve been for the last couple of days.  It seems like Byron Bay is the place to be if you’re a backpacker – whether you’re heading north or south.  We stayed at Belongil Beachouse in great wooden cabin dorms with a shady rainforest courtyard.  Really lovely staff, and the resident cats are great too!  As soon as we arrived, we heard that there were whales visible from the beach, so we ran over and saw them surfacing with the sunset in the background.

Go Sea Kayak

The next day we had an even more amazing wildlife experience with Go Sea Kayak in Byron, who taught us how to kayak, and took us out on the bay to see dolphins and whales.  If you want to see wildlife, this is the way to do it!  Within half an hour of paddling out onto the ocean, we saw two whales – a mother and calf – swimming towards us in the distance.  They kept surfacing every thirty seconds or so, but then disappeared for a couple of minutes, so we weren’t sure where they’d gone.

The next thing you know, the mother whale had surfaced right in amongst our kayaks!!!  It was an absolutely amazing experience.  All of us were in complete awe that such an amazing creature would swim so close to us.  It’s definitely not something that happens everyday, and will go down as one of the highlights of our trip.

While out on the water, we also had a school of dolphins swim right by us (not as close as the whale, but still a lot closer than we’d expected to get to any wildlife), and a sea turtle popped its head out of the ocean.  It was a very cool trip!  The other great thing about Go Sea Kayak is that they’ll donate money from every kayaking experience to the Sea Shepherd, to help protect ocean wildlife.  We’d definitely recommend them if you’re in Byron Bay!

We’re here in town for a few more days, so stay tuned for more NSW Adventures!

http://vantastic.worldnomads.com

http://www.twitter.com/vantasticnsw

Tags: adventures, australia, byron bay, go sea kayak, kiva spa, nimbin, nsw, road trip, van-tastic adventures, vantastic

Comments

1

Hi guys, I just want to mention the Byron Bay Visitor Centre www.visitbyronbay.com because they offer a lot of information about Byron Bay and the surrounding area. They are the only official tourist information in Byron and you can book your tours and cheap Byron Bay accommodation with them. It is a non-profit organization run by some paid staff and a team of volunteers.

  Arno Feb 2, 2010 1:41 PM

About vantasticnsw


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.