Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic Tasmania - Dara & Catherine Americans Dara and Catherine embark on the ultimate Aussie roadtrip as they motor around Tasmania with Van-Tastic Adventures for six action-packed, free-wheeling weeks of adventure.

NO RESTIN' IN LAUNCESTON

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 17 January 2010 | Views [1130]

Dara and I did not want to leave Hobart, we had fallen in love. But, there was so much more to see and do so it was time to move on. Our friend Emily from Melbourne came to visit for a week and we were picking her up in Launceston so off we went and we were not disappointed.

Hands down the best place to stay in Launceston is The Art House Hostel. I had forgotten how great staying in a Hostel can be. The Art House is the perfect laid back setting to meet some new friends, get some ideas on what to do in Tasmania, cook a great meal, or just relax and unwind. Dara and I did all of these things while catching up on our blogging.

While in Launceston we visited the Boag's Brewery and joined the informative beer lovers tour through the history and brewing process. My favorite was watching the glass bottles go through the filling and packaging line. At the end of the tour we got a generous sampling of eight different Boag's brands paired with some scrumptious local cheeses.

Then headed over to Launceston's signature attraction, the Cataract Gorge. We took some pictures of the peacocks and the pristine water and headed to The Cable Hang Glide for yet another chance to test our wings.   

A friend had recommended we eat lunch one day at Burger Got Soul, we took his recommendation and now pass it along to you. These fresh, innovative burgers really do have soul.

About an hour north of Launceston is Beauty Point, home to Seahorse World, Platypus House, and Echidna Garden. I was personally amazed at how small and cute the little platypus were playing in the water. The Echidnas were both prickly and furry and stuck their fast squirmy long tongues out a thousand times a minute to eat. Seahorse World had hundreds of Seahorse. We were able to observe all different species and all different stages of life on our guided tour. The Seahorse are gorgeous and mystical and each move in their own unique way. It's crazy to see that they all have a personality. There were other sea creatures about as well and some slimy ones we were able to touch.

We like to cover land and sea everywhere we go so we headed to the forest north of Launceston to zip-line with Hollybank Treetops Adventure. Scott and Anna geared us up with some fancy comfortable seated harnesses and we trekked out to the first tree. The lines become progressively longer and higher off the ground as you gain experience on the zip-trek. Scott and Anna taught us how to flap our wings and crow like a bird, strike a pose on the line and curl up in to a ball to go as fast as you can on the line. It was a lot of fun and we were rewarded with certificates of completion at the end.

Tags: australia, beer, hang gliding, party, road trip, tasmania, van-tastic adventures, wildlife, wildlife, ziplining

About vantastic_tas


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.