Existing Member?

Roadtrip Australia: Van-Tastic Tasmania - Dara & Catherine Americans Dara and Catherine embark on the ultimate Aussie roadtrip as they motor around Tasmania with Van-Tastic Adventures for six action-packed, free-wheeling weeks of adventure.

COASTING ALONG

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 16 January 2010 | Views [1103]

Anyone that has been here loves the Tasmanian coast but no one shows their love quite as well as Robert Pennicott. After spending many years as a professional fisherman Robert decided to share his beautiful office view along with his knowledge and enthusiasm for the Tasmanian coast with the rest of us. Robert and his wife Michaye opened Bruny Island Cruises in 1999 and Tasman Island Cruises in 2007. The company aims to create a legacy of conservation to protect the coast and use it's financial success to reinvest into the local community and environment. Dara and I took on the two adventure experiences back to back.

We drove Geoff about 40 minutes outside of Hobart to catch the ferry boat to Bruny Island and met for the cruise at the serene Adventure Bay. Geared up in our warmest clothes after an introduction from Robert himself we headed for the boats specifically customized to withstand large swells and heavy winds and slipped on a sweet red raincoat-suit that was handed to us as we stepped on. 

Dara and I had already learned the hard away about The Roaring Forties. They are boisterous winds at 40*S latitude that come in from the west and have no land after South America to slow them down before they hit Tassie so we knew to be prepared for anything and dress warm on the water.

We were glad to be wrapped up as we headed straight in to the wind bouncing smoothly among the waves. The kids on board would shout warning everyone of big waves ahead and the screams and laughter would follow. It was a great day filled with crashing waves, big beautiful rock formations, caves, tons of seals sunbathing and information about the nature around us. We returned to Adventure Bay to find the worlds most delicious spicy pumpkin soup, sandwiches and hot tea waiting for us.

The next day we went to the Tasman Peninsula and the weather was dark, rainy and windy which meant the waves were even more intense but the dark blue clouds made a great backdrop for the rocky shoreline and there were even more seals out than the day before. The weather also had blown in the most gigantic prehistoric looking jellyfish I had ever seen. Braving the elements surrounded by this beautiful land in it's natural state was surreal.

Keeping up with it's reputation for being unpredictable and sporadic, the weather in Tassie was perfect the next day. Crystal clear blue skies and warm temperatures meant it was the perfect day for a morning kayak. Dara and I went to Roaring 40's Kayaking in Kettering and were greeted by owner and fellow east coast American Kim Brodlieb. Toby was our guide and took us for a calm day around the D'Entrecasteaux Channel where we explored a shipwreck and ate oysters that we found ourselves straight out of the water. We left happy with full bellies and new sun tans.

Tags: australia, backpacking, boating, campervan, itinerary, kayaking, road trip, tasmania, travel, wildlife

About vantastic_tas


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.