Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Tokyo Metro

JAPAN | Friday, 16 August 2019 | Views [346]

Strap-hangers, Tokyo Metro

Strap-hangers, Tokyo Metro

YOU CAN GET ANYWHERE IN TOKYO ON THE METRO for only a couple hundred yen.  It’s certainly faster and it may be cooler than walking but you miss so much on the train.  Take today, for instance.  We decided to walk in the opposite direction we usually take on Hongo-dori to visit Ochanomizu Origami Kaikan,.  Within a few hundred meters we passed Goshuden-Mon, a red-lacquered gate into Tokyo University.  It was built in the Edo Period when what is now the now University was the mansion that housed the Maeda clan lord of the Kaga Domain — a truly important dude in the day. Right in our front yard!

BB

     Goshuden-Mon, Red-Lacquered Edo Gate

When we got there the Ochanomizu Origami Kaikan was closed for Oban.  Disappointing, yes, but we learned that for 500 years Obon (or Bon) has been the Buddhist/Confucian holiday honoring the ancestral spirits.  It always falls in mid-August and has become a time of family reunions.  

BB     NN

               Ochanomizu Origami Kaikan — Closed for Oban

Onward, ever onward!  After a wrong turn I spied with my little eye a gate leading to a temple.  As it happens, Kandi Myojin is Shinto dating from the Edo Period.  Shinto, in case you’ve forgotten, is the indigenous religion of Japan whose gods, kami, are sacred spirits of things such as wind, rain, mountains, trees and rivers.  Kandi Myojin isn’t the original structure nor is it in the original location but Tokyoites still flock to Kandi to pray for success in business, good health and a happy marriage.  Not too much to ask!

NN

   I Spy a Shinto Shrine

                   B

                            Kandi Myojin

                                     BB

                                          Answer my Prayers

Trying to get back on course, Connie stopped to confer with a uniformed guard on the corner.  He didn’t laugh but he jokingly asked if she was staying in the guesthouse.  It turns out we were in front of the Tokyo State Guesthouse on the Akasaka Imperial Estate.  Built in 1909 as a residence for the Crown Prince, it now accommodates diplomats and world leaders.  A recent visitor was some guy named Trump.

BB      BB

   No laughing matter                           Tokyo State Guesthouse

We walked  about seven miles all together.  Or we could have taken the Metro.

 

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.