Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Otaru

JAPAN | Sunday, 11 August 2019 | Views [265]

Squid fishing is big business in Otaru

Squid fishing is big business in Otaru

WE HAVE LEFT BOTH RUSSIA AND FRANCISCO BEHIND but it seems we are heading into another, much stronger typhoon, Krosa by name.  As we cruise towards our ports on the island of Hokkaido, the captain’s reports of 12 meter seas and 100+ km winds — though 1000 km away — are disturbing.  The storm and we, after all, are both headed for southern Japan and the race is on.

nn

      Japanese Cormorant

Tim, a fellow birder from Oregon, is joining up with us for some ad hoc birding in Otaru.  Personally, I would rather take in the sights, meager as they are, but I know Connie is jonesing for some birds and we will soon be back in Hokkaido on our own.  Otaru doesn’t seem like a well-planned stop.  No shuttles have been provided and the small taxi fleet can’t manage to keep up so it’s a 40 minute walk from the harbor to center of the tourist district.

vv     nn

    Otaru Warehouse                           Statue and factory 

 There wasn’t much to Otaru.  The action centers on a canal lined with restaurants and bars that were formerly run-down warehouses. Otaru is known for its squid fishing fleet whose boats use bright lights to attract the critters to the surface.  Our birding netted a single Japanese cormorant, so after Tim dropped out for an Otaru beer, Connie and I hoofed it back to the ship, about 5 miles in all.

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.