Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Takamatsu

JAPAN | Saturday, 3 August 2019 | Views [222]

Ritsurin Garden, Takamatsu

Ritsurin Garden, Takamatsu

THE PORT AT TAKAMATSU WAS A PLEASANT EXCEPTION.  The ferry dock is adjacent to the cruise terminal and the harbor has a park-like feel, with the Takamatsu Castle as a centerpiece.  Japan is currently experiencing a heat-wave — like everyplace else on the planet —  and also, it seems, a plague of cicadas.  The little buggers are everywhere and their chirping is deafening.  

bb     bb

  Takamatsu Castle                              Cicada

Despite the stifling heat and humidity we decided to walk to Ritsurin Garden, a straight shot two-miles from the harbor.  Like other Japanese gardens we have visited, Ritsurin’s charm is in its simplicity.  A network of well-swept trails meanders around ponds, through copses of trees with detours to teahouses and resting areas.  

bb

    Ritsurin Boat Ride       

                             hh                                

                                  Sun Protection

                                                                   bb

                                                                    Points of View, Ritsurin Garden

Despite the crowds — many from the Maasdam — we could always find bits of solitude with inspiring views.  A single iris blooming alongside a pond.  Stepping stones across a stream.  A pink lotus in a sea of green.  A delicate bridge across the lake.

bb

      Perfection

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.