Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Ketchikan and Misty Fjords National Wilderness

USA | Sunday, 14 July 2019 | Views [196]

New Eddystone Rock, Misty Fjords National Monument

New Eddystone Rock, Misty Fjords National Monument

THE CAPTAIN DID A WONDERFUL JOB OF PARALLEL parking in Ketchikan, squeezing the Maasdam between the Celebrity and Carnival ships, while another, smaller, cruise ship is anchored offshore.  It isn’t yet 8AM and we can see hoards from the ships swarming the pier-side shops of this self-proclaimed “Salmon Capital of the World” and “Alaska’s First City.”  For some reason the sign doesn’t mention Ketchikan is the wettest town in Alaska, something the Chamber of Commerce keeps stumm about.

nn     nn

 Tight Parking in Ketchikan                  Statue and Rain Gage

Holland America reinforced our reluctance to book shore excursions.  We received a refund for one of our three excursions in Russia — no explanation given — so we rebooked it.  And they had no record of our reservations to Misty Fjords here in Ketchikan.  They vowed to “look into it” until I showed them our computer with the receipt and demanded they print our ticket.  Oh well, it will probably rain!

nn     nn

   Misty Fjords                                  Flight-seeing by floatplane

As it happens, it didn’t rain and our “wilderness cruise” to Misty Fjords went as planned.  Our little sight-seeing boat was packed with folks from 4, count ‘em, 4 cruise ships.  Except for a few dozen, maybe more, Bald Eagles, wildlife was scarce.  

nn

     Bald Eagle (for the woman from Phoenix)

We did manage to scope out a few surf scoters, marbled murrelets and a pigeon guillemot.  The commentary by the young women naturalists was very informative and entertaining.  The scenery was pretty spectacular, more so if you’d never been to Alaska before and they even served us some Alaska clam chowdah. 

nn     bb

  Diamonds are forever                        The 3 Bears

After lunch back aboard the Maasdam, John wandered around Ketchikan for a bit, searching for anything that may have been authentic.  Perhaps the salmon was real Alaskan but I don’t hold much hope for the diamonds, Tanzanite, hats, T-shirts, mini-totems, stuffed bears and other goodies they were flogging.  

bb

     Searching for authentic Ketchikan

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.