Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Podocarpus National Park

ECUADOR | Thursday, 14 March 2019 | Views [244]

White-breasted Parakeet perched

White-breasted Parakeet perched

THE JOCOTOCO RUN LODGE AT COPALINGA is a gem.  Secluded on a forested hillside, you can easily forget you are only minutes from town.  The cabins are clean, well-lighted and have plenty of hot water.  Maria and her staff make wonderful meals and keep the hummingbird feeders well stocked.  The big draw here is a hide often visited by the Gray Tinamou and the lodge’s proximity to the lower part of Podocarpus National Park.

nn

   Eating dirt!  White-breasted Parakeet

It rained all night long forcing Dusan to reluctantly postpone our hike into the park.  When we finally started up the trail, the river below was a raging torrent of chocolate milk while flocks of tanagers, warblers and flycatchers flitted in the trees.  The highlight of the 3 mile walk was a group of eight white-breasted parakeets who alternately perched and pecked at the hillside for minerals essential to their diet.

 nn

   Gray Tinamou (Connie's photo)

I played sloth while Connie joined the others in the rain to look for the tinamou and nightjars.  Birding in the rain for semi-domesticated fowl isn’t exactly my cup of chai and as Maria quipped, “Tinamou is just forest pollo!”

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.