Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

A Lion Kill, Up Close and (Too) Personal

TANZANIA | Friday, 12 October 2018 | Views [155]

Hippo Pool, Serengeti NP

Hippo Pool, Serengeti NP

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY HOME FROM the Hippo Pool.  We came upon a group of lionesses and a cub stretching alongside the road.  While we were ooh-ing and aah-ing at the cub the lionesses came on alert.  They separated and took up attack positions like a well-drilled infantry squad.  We never even saw the wildebeeste coming and they obviously didn’t sense the lions.  The attack was over quickly and when the dust settled, one lion had the wildebeeste by the throat while two others held it down.  The rest of the herd escaped and the lions had food for another day.  Except for our gasps and the thudding of hooves, the entire event took place in silence.

b

     Attack                       

                 b

                                  Escape                                               

                                bb                                              

                                               Success

As for the hippos, Candace counted 180 in the slimy pool, rife with the smell of hippo  poo.  We can’t figure out what the attraction is for the hippos, but every safari truck in the center of the park arrived around 4PM for the show.  Mothers with young calfs stayed safely to the outside while adults splashed, grunted and displayed razor sharp tusks in hope of gaining a few more centimeters of space.

nn

      The Hippo Pool

And in case you’re wondering, we had a great morning of birding and got our first good look at the king of beasts in all his glory.  Today was worthy of a National Geographic special.

bb    

     The Lion King

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.