Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Dayton: Not Quite Wright

USA | Tuesday, 21 August 2018 | Views [209]

Favorite Sons: Laurance, Wilbur and Orville, Dayton Aviation NHP

Favorite Sons: Laurance, Wilbur and Orville, Dayton Aviation NHP

WILBUR AND ORVILLE POLISHED THEIR CRAFT in Dayton, Ohio, progressing from bicycles to gliders and ultimately to the first “airplane.”  So one — I — might assume that the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historic Park would be dedicated to the brothers Wright, no?  Well, one — I — would be wrong!

mm     nn

   Brothers Wright                             Wright Bros. Cycle Shop

True, the Park includes one of the Wrights' bike shops and even a replica of their 1902 glider.  The Aviation Heritage Park is a monument to Dayton, its innovators, inventors — the cash register was invented in Dayton — and writers, especially Paul Laurence Dunbar.  Never heard of him?  Best known for his poetry, Dunbar was one of the first African-American writers to establish an international reputation.  

vv

    Up, Up and Away

If you want the brothres Wright, consider a trip to Kill Devil Hills, NC and the Wright Brothers National Memorial.

bb

    John Brown, his soul is marching on!

WHILE WE'RE AT IT, I’ve always connected Harpers Ferry WV with the fanatical-looking abolitionist, John Brown, he whose body lies a moulderin' in the grave.  But Harpers Ferry National Historic Park is a tribute to the town itself.  John Brown'S anti-slavery raid on the national arsenal at Harpers Ferry is little more than a footnote.  

b     nn

       Harpers Ferry — high and dry for now

The history of the town at the confluence of the Shenandoah and the Potomac is quite interesting, a story  of floods and fortitude.  A wander through Harpers Ferry is well worth your time.  And I bet you come home humming “John Brown’s body lies a moulderin’ in the grave but his soul goes marchin’ on” to the tune of the “Battle Hymn of the Republic.”  If you can find the exhibit devoted to him, that is.

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.