Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Goin' To Kansas City

USA | Sunday, 8 July 2018 | Views [264]

Harry's Home, Independence MO

Harry's Home, Independence MO

TALL GRASS PRAIRIE NATIONAL MONUMENT isn’t exactly convenient to Topeka, but at least it’s in Kansas — unlike Kauffman Stadium and Independence which are in Missouri.  Connie had a couple of nondescript prairie birds that she wanted to find and another stamp to add to her NP Passport book.  We found the birds and even managed to get decent photos.

bb

    Barb Wire Heart, Tall Grass Prairie NM

Part of the logistics for this summer involve baseball.  We want to visit as many baseball parks as possible so Connie has been trying to arrange our schedule to coincide with MLB home games — preferably Sunday afternoon games.  Luckily, the KC Royals were in town this weekend and Kansas City isn’t really that far from Topeka.  And while we were in the neighborhood, so to speak, a visit to the Truman home seemed like a good idea.  Harry and Bess weren’t home, of course, but it was easy to imagine him strolling the streets of Independence.

nn     n

    The Buck Stops Here                      Many Faces of Harry Truman

It was Girl Scout day at the “K,” so kelly green mixed with royal blue and the red of the universally hated Boston fans.  The stadium is beautiful and ticket prices are reasonable, even if the Royals leave something to be desired.  Our seats were in the baking sunshine so we moved up a few rows into the shade next to Girl Scout, Madison.  The Red Sox won — again!  With the Dodgers and Diamondbacks, we’ve now seen three of the potential World Series contenders. 

n     n

   Girl Scout Day at                                The K

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.