Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

USA | Monday, 2 July 2018 | Views [215]

After the Storm, Goodland KS

After the Storm, Goodland KS

ACTUALLY, TOTO, THIS IS KANSAS!  Knee-high corn, golden wheatfields, anti-abortion billboards and more places selling tractors than cars.  The billboard-sized version of Van Gogh’s “Sunflowers” that welcomed us to Goodland was no match for the rainbow that followed our evening thunder storm.

,,

      Vincent would be proud

As we would learn in the coming days, Kansas was a “free state” during the days preceding the Civil War as opposed to neighboring “slave state,” Missouri.  This, along with an aggressive ad campaign, explains why Nicodemus attracted many former slaves.  

nn     nn

   Truth in advertising?                         The dream

Carla and Lucretia, sixth generation descendants of the first settlers showed us around the Nicodemus National Historic Site, the only remaining western town established by African Americans during the Reconstruction Period following the American Civil War.

nn     nn

   Nicodemus town hall                       Nicodemus, circa 1880

 

Fort Larned was one of several frontier forts constructed to aid settlers in their covered wagons and keep the Indians in check.  Not surprisingly, one of the fort’s soldiers was none other than George Custer (not pictured).

mm

     Fort Larned National Historic Site

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.