Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

French Canada With English Friends

CANADA | Wednesday, 4 April 2018 | Views [338]

Chris and Rose, Old Town Quebec City

Chris and Rose, Old Town Quebec City

WE FIRST MET CHRIS AND ROSE IN 2008 in Uganda when we were volunteering for the Jane Goodall Institute and they were managing the Kinyara Sugar Works.  We stayed at their home in Barley, England in 2011 and we last saw them five years ago in South Africa.  So it seemed fitting that we would fly up to Quebec City to spend the long Easter weekend with them when we they told us they were taking a holiday in Canada.

nn     

   Norrine and Connie                          Take me out to the ball game

It made more sense to fly from Phoenix than Tucson, especially since the Rockies were playing the Diamondbacks in the opening series of the 2018 MLB season.  Paul’s hip replacement is recovering nicely so we treated him and Noreen to the game and invited ourselves to spend the night.  The Rockies lost — but we had a great evening.  The next morning Noreen showed Connie how to massage the Ancestry DNA information for both of our family trees while Paul and I relived our childhood and teen years.

nn

   Chris and Connie come in from the cold

Chris and Rose had arrived from visiting friends in -40° (C or F, it doesn’t matter) Yellow Knife the previous day so the sub-freezing Quebec temperature seemed balmy to them.  But not to us.  And despite their insistence that they are not “foodies,” they seemed to have scouted out the local eateries.  Rose is a professional archivist with an affinity for museums so we spent our time among Quebec’s museums, restaurants, charming sights and the Hotel Manoir Victoria where we were both staying.  

bb    bb

    Quebec's Vieux Ville                          Fort Museum

We did a lot of catching up; old times, mutual acquaintances, health issues, past trips and future travels.  It was great to see them again but, all things considered, if it had to be in Canada, I would have preferred summer.

mm

   AM Airport Snow, Quebec

And for the final Quebecoise au revoir, it was snowing and blowing when we arrived at the airport for our 5 AM flight back to le pais du soleil.

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.