Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Birding Columbia: Santa Marta Extension

COLOMBIA | Sunday, 12 November 2017 | Views [396]

Bird of the Trip: White-tipped Quetzal

Bird of the Trip: White-tipped Quetzal

COLUMBIA WAS THE LAST OF THE FOUR Rock Jumper trips that Connie had to book concurrently just to guarantee that we would have a place.  After the Cameroon fiasco I begged off the trip to Papua New Guinea.  I am not a fan of groups or the pre-dawn to post-dusk Rock Jumper itinerary but Columbia was just too good to miss.  It has more bird species than any other country — 900 — of which nearly 90 are found only in Columbia and enough butterflies and monkeys to keep things interesting.

nn     nn

         The motely crew from Rock Jumper

We left the RV in storage at Vandenberg and arranged a hotel/long-term parking deal not far from LAX, perfect for our LA-Panama City-Bogota flight with a follow-on flight the next morning to Barranquilla where the Santa Marta extension began. As birding groups go, this one was pretty good — Aussies, Bob and Darryl (or maybe it was Darryl's brother Darryl), Linda, Butch and David from the US and Jean-Marc from France.  Our Brit guide, Rob, restored our faith in Rock Jumper; personable and knowledgeable with a PhD in ecology and a wide range of interests.  He has worked with BBC, NatGeo and is currently co-authoring a book on hummingbirds of the world.

nn

 

     Hermes sets out a snack

Hermes, our driver for most of the trip, picked us up in a brandy new WV 15-passenger bus with enough room for some semblance of privacy on the sometimes long drives.  When the roads got rough we transferred to FWD Toyota Land Cruisers and Hermes got some well deserved time off.  Not only did he drive safely for long hours without getting lost, he kept our on-board larder stocked with water, snacks and, bless his little heart, Diet Coke. 

nn     nn

  Blue Morpho butterfly                         Iguana

nn     nn

    Silver-handed tamarin                     Red Howler Monkey

                           More than just Birds

We climbed from the sea-level mangroves at Isla Salamanca NP on a rutted track flooded by the torrential rains to the El Dorado Lodge, 10,000 feet up the Santa Marta Mountains, only to learn that the storm had knocked out the power.  And we would live in the dark for next three nights, except for the dining area powered by the noisy, smelly generator that enabled us to keep computers and cameras charged.  But during the day the lodge’s feeders attracted an astonishing number of hummingbirds and other colorful species.

nn     nn

   Collared Inca                                   Golden-bellied Starfront

We switched back to the VW for the trip to Riohacha, birding all the way.  No trip to SA is complete without a strike — ours was a pre-announced pilot boycott forcing the cancellation of some flights, including ours from Riohacha.  Rob, always on top of things, arranged flights from Santa Marta, turning a major disaster into a minor inconvenience instead.  You da Man, Rob

The group ritually gathered every evening to discuss and record what we had seen that day.  Our score for the five Santa Marta days was 335 species, 90 of which were “lifers” for us including 22 endemic species.  As usual, the Aussies really cleaned up.  Almost everything they saw was new to them.

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.