Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Cesar Chavez National Monument: The Wrath of Grapes

USA | Thursday, 19 October 2017 | Views [377]

Cesar Chavez — STRIKE

Cesar Chavez — STRIKE

I FIRST HEARD OF CESAR CHAVEZ FROM JONES.  He is one of my oldest friends and self-appointed social conscience.  We were all too preoccupied with finishing high school to care much about the Delano Grape Strike in 1965 where Chavez rose to national attention.  But Jones was adamant that we should support the United Farm Workers by boycotting iceberg lettuce — the Salad Bowl Strike — which was easier to do in the 70s when salad was a nearly unknown food group in my family.  So it was almost an obligation for us to visit Cesar Chavez National Monument.

nn     nn

  Picket sign                                          Grave Site

Under the leadership of Chávez and UFW co-founder Dolores Huerta, the farm worker movement joined forces with other reform movements to achieve unprecedented successes that greatly improved working and living conditions and wages for farm workers. During the 1970s the United Farm Workers of America expanded from a union for farm workers to become a national voice for the poor and disenfranchised. The enduring legacies of César E. Chávez and the farm worker movement include passage of California's Agricultural Labor Relations Act of 1975, the first law in the U.S. that recognized farm workers' collective bargaining rights.

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.