Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Kelso Depot: Oasis in the Mohave

USA | Monday, 16 October 2017 | Views [288]

Joshua Trees, Mohave Desert National Preserve

Joshua Trees, Mohave Desert National Preserve

THE MOHAVE IS THE SMALLEST DESERT in the United States, comprising less than 50,000 square miles mostly in California and Nevada.  But if you were crossing the Mohave on the Union Pacific Railroad in the early 20th Century, you would certainly welcome a stop at Kelso Depot.  The Depot was originally built by the Los Angeles and Salt Lake RR as a water stop for steam locomotives and a place where “helper” engines would be added to assist the ore trains on the steep grades ahead.  It was eventually incorporated into the Union Pacific system as a rest stop for weary rail passengers.

nn

 

    Kelso Depot National Monument

The Kelso Depot was instrumental in the Union Pacific RR’s role in World War II in transporting iron ore from the Vulcan Mine to Kaiser shipbuilding plants on the coast.  Yes, this is the same Kaiser, Henry by name, who brought us Liberty and Victory ships, Rosie the Riveter and, eventually, the concept of healthcare for all.

 nn

  The Union Pacific and the National Parks, a winning team

Today, Kelso Depot is an oasis in the desert.  The gardens of yore are gone, except for some date palms, but the building itself has been restored.  It serves as a National Park Visitors Center and a museum to the importance of rail roads in the pre-WWII years, a fitting relationship since the railroads and the National Parks success went hand in hand.  

bb

    And the trains continue to rumble by.

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.