Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Eastern Washington

USA | Thursday, 20 July 2017 | Views [216]

Grand Coulee Dam

Grand Coulee Dam

AND A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT — THE COLUMBIA River, that is.  It always has and despite the efforts of the Bureau of Reclamation, it always will.  Spokane owes its existence to the Columbia and Eastern Washington would be nothing but sagebrush if it weren’t for the river.  No farms, no golf courses, no salmon and probably few people.  

 

nn     nn

   Wild Turkey                                     Yellow-bellied marmot

The Columbia featured greatly during our stay in Spokane and Richland.  We twice hiked and birded in Indian Rocks State Park along a stream that feeds into the river, a refreshing walk through the pines with several species of birds and mammals.  The park fee is $10/day or $30 for an annual pass good for all Washington state parks, making the annual pass a no brainer.  John also picked up a fishing license since we will be in Washington through Labor Day.

 

nn

  Commemorative postage stamp

The aforementioned Bureau of Reclamation authorized construction of the mile-long Grand Coulee Dam in 1933 during the Roosevelt administration.  The purpose of Grand Coulee was flood control, irrigation and generation of electricity. The first batch of concrete was poured in 1935 and work was completed ten years (and 12 million cubic yards of concrete) later forming the Franklin D. Roosevelt Reservoir.  The government “acquired” some 80,000 acres of land, forcing 3000 residents (including Native Americans) to relocate. 

 

 

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.