Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Cameroon: Plan B Already!

CAMEROON | Tuesday, 4 April 2017 | Views [206]

Do you see it?

Do you see it?

OUR SOUTH AFRICAN GUIDES, David and Heinz, arrived yesterday afternoon along with Tom from San Jose, Marga from the Canary Islands, Quebecois Jean and Linda, and Johannes from Berlin.  We spent some time birding around the hotel before our get acquainted dinner and already I have the feeling this group is serious.  There won’t be much free time in the next couple of weeks.

nn

     Dusty village

We have barely begun and already we’re on Plan B.  It seems the morning flight to Garoua was changed to late afternoon so we spent the morning birding along the Sanaga River then stayed overnight in Garoua.  Presumably everything will even out but this is still an auspicious beginning.  I felt weak and shaky from the beginning and the 92°/90% humidity didn’t help.  I am without doubt the least obsessive and prepared birder on the trip.  Even my camera gear looks substandard compared to the howitzer-sized lenses of Tom and Johannes.  Even David carries a big camera which I find inappropriate for a guide.

David said it would be hot in the north but dry.  He failed to mention how hot (99* at 6PM) or that the air would be filled with choking dust blown in from the Sahara.  I wonder what other surprises await.

bb

   Retired workhorse

We got our first taste of the schedule at Ngaoundaba Ranch.  Pre-dawn breakfast followed by 12 hours of birding.  Not much walking yet, but it didn’t take long for the pushing and shoving to begin.  David is almost magical at finding birds and locating them with his 80X scope.  People are supposed to take turns at the scope but some people feel more privileged than others.  Always the same people. 

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cameroon

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.